Criteria for Self-Employed business

​Hi all,

In order to obtain the work permit in Mauritius, I found the info as below. However, I have the following questions.  Anyone has the previous experience on this?

1) can we run a business targeting consumers
2) Without physical office/shop instead the equipment will be stored at rent home Or we have to purchase an non-citizen apartment (G+2)
3) can both me and my husband register as self employed running the same business? If not, one person applies as self-employed, how about the spouse and the child? dependent visa?
4) how many years of doing the self employed, will be eligible to apply the permanent residency?
5) Or we need to go through RES,PDS scheme ?
6) when I looked at the website, even it says permanent residency but it is only valid for 10 years?! Is that the case?

​​Investor:
​Initial transfer of USD 100,000 and the business activity should generate an annual turnover of at least MUR 2 million for the first year and cumulative turnover of at least MUR 10 million for the subsequent two years.

​​Self-Employed:
Income from the business activity should exceed MUR 600,000 annually for the first two years of activity and MUR1.2 million for the third year, with an initial investment of USD 35,000

Thank you in advance for all your valuable advice and experiences

Annie

Here are my comments

1) can we run a business targeting consumers
You wouldn't qualify under self-employed as this is more based on 'professional expertise / services' rather than 'commerce'

2) Without physical office/shop instead the equipment will be stored at rent home Or we have to purchase an non-citizen apartment (G+2)
You can rent your house / business premises for the above. No specific need to buy an appartment.

3) can both me and my husband register as self employed running the same business? If not, one person applies as self-employed, how about the spouse and the child? dependent visa?
If you are both qualified professionals then yes. Bear in mind the investment & turnover criteria will double, as each one will have to abide to his own permit conditions. Once the main applicant has his permit, his family is plugged in as dependent. So children and spouse benefit from the same three year permit.

4) how many years of doing the self employed, will be eligible to apply the permanent
residency?

After 3 years of making a minimum turnover condition under the Permanent Residency rule

5) Or we need to go through RES,PDS scheme ?
It depends on the objective of your relocation. It is the easiest way to live 'permanently' as the residency is attached to 'ownership' of the property and not burdened by 'business performance'

6) when I looked at the website, even it says permanent residency but it is only valid for 10 years?! Is that the case
Yes, PErmanent residency (for Occupation Permits and REtired Residence) are for 10 years renewable. Permanent Residency on property is based on 'ownership of the property' = you stay as long as you are owners of the property

Thanks for your valuable advice

Hello Annie,
thank you for your explanation.
My question,
is it possible to obtain a self employd visa if I want to settle in Mauritius as a dentist ?
What are the requirements& regulations for foreign dentists to open up a dental office in Mauritius?
We are planning to move there in around 2-3 years if theres an opportunity. We have a bulgarian( Eu licence) and a philippine licence.
Do we have to take a licensure exam?
What are the regulations to import dental equipment as we have an existing dental office and laboratory in the Philippines that we would like to transfer completely?
Thanks- Regards Jens

As dentist you would first need to tackle the Medical / Dental council.
This would be your first challenge. Once you get their approval you can proceed to the required permit. Being on self-employed for a dentist is a tricky one, because you are not allowed under this scheme to employ people... I can't see a dentist without an assistant.

Ok, thank you. I will contact the council.I wonder as i have seen some french dentists practicing in Mauritius.