Problem with "legal" overstay in brazil

Hello,

I just had a problem with a "legal" overstay in Brazil.
officers at the policia federal told me that there is a special law that if you go to the policia federal on the 1st day after your tourist visa has expired, they will only charge you 100rs (for the first day of overstay) and then you have 60 days to leave the country (without having to pay the daily fee of 100rs). I did as they said, overstayed for 46 days longer. At the airport they told me now that this law doesnt exist and that I have to pay 4600rs. They sent me to the embassy to solve the problem - I went there and they say that I have to solve it with the policia federal in sao paulo (which is of course not possible, as I just arrived in Germany). Anybody ever heard of that problem? Thank you for advices!

There has been a lot of confusion, including among the Federal Police, since the new Law of Migration went into effect last November.  Sounds like the officer you dealt with was confused, and thought that s/he could extend your visa, which was not allowed since that's not the agreement with the EU.  Bottom line:  you owe R$4,600.  Sorry.

If or when you return to Brazil they will expect you to pay then. Make sure your flight returns at a time that banks will be open at the airport. Yeah this new law was very confusing at first, sorry you got misinformed and now owe a bunch of money.

thank you - yes, at the embassy they said, that I should get a prove of the officer - a friend of mine will try to get that now. But also, I am not the only person that had this information - I know more people who got informed about that new law!

Good luck, even though it was misinformation it will come down to what that federal police officer says now. Maybe he will say I was wrong and told these people this information. Then perhaps your fine will be reduced. On the other hand he could deny all of this and you still pay. Worth a try and I hope the best for you.

It's best to respect the law and not stay illegally.

Many of these Federal officers are contract workers and do not always know what they are talking about.

Jim