Marinas near Puerto Plata

One thing that stuck me travelling along the coast around Puerto Plata was the lack of marinas.
I understand there is one at Ocean World, and I guess there must be one in Puerto Plata itself, but I did not see anything near Sosua or Cabarete.  Did I miss something?  Where do these people - including the watersports vendors - dock their boats?  Do they have to go all the way up to Cofresi?

By the way, people are always asking about where to buy cars and boats and stuff here.  I have been using Corotos.com.co and it is the most useful site I have seen so far.  Pretty easy to use and well organized.  They have lots of car and boat and moto listings.  I haven't actually bought anything there yet, but it sure has helped me to understand the market.  Are there other sites like it I should be aware of?

The other sit is Mercado Libre.

Some boats /  catamarans got permission to anchor off Playa Dorada.

I don't think anyone anchors off cabarete.

Heard a rumor of one being planned in Sosua on the river.  Problem with waste coming from villiages upstream though.  Sounds hard to fix.

Planner and other expirienced expats.
Hello I've seen some of you pretty active in these threads so I'm coming to you in hopes to get as much information as I can on various topics concerning DR. I'm from southern California but now in Rhode Island I bought a boat here to live aboard. I'm partially disabled and The winters are way to hard on my body. Now I receive disability and I buy fix and resale boats along with side jobs and Jewelry/Fashion sales to supplement my income. I do ok but not well off by any means. My biggest expense believe it or not isn't the various boats (I'm always switching and everything's for sale) but actually in mooring/slipping the boat I live on. Keeping in mind putting a boat into a slip is not considered a residence but rather Storage. It's just that it's over looked if you live on it in most places. now laws down there I'm sure are way different. Here in this area if you do have your boat in a Hook. ANCHOR! Off the coast somewhere Even moving it regularly will attract the authorities. So can you tell me anything about how it works now the various areas your at and or the cost of a slip
Thank you.
Lee Adams

Hi Lee welcome to the forums. I have friends with boats and will ask. As far as I know the best and least expensive moorage is in Luperon Harbor.  Do some searches online for this. I will find out what it costs....... 

Winter here is paradise my friend......

Yer Awesome

Planner
Wow! I just now checked the fees Various entities will be charging me for entry, mooring, harbor fees etc. It's next to nothing.  Of course that's just mooring in the bay. Ill check the various Marinas. But of course if I do just hook in the bay I'll bring a bigger boat and just dingy it to and fro. I keep wind power, Solar and a generator on board. Oh BTW that "Winter's are paradise" statement will have me casting off by September. Lol See you in the fall. 😉

Hi Lee, I've worked on & lived on & owned a boat or two.  The winters here can be a bit nippy. The temp can drop down to the low 70s at night. A couple of nights maybe even to 68 with the days in the low to mid 80's.  I hope that won'y be too chilly for you. Then of course, you will have to deal with the year round trade breezes. Could catch a few days without them also.   Luperone is considered by boaters as the best hurricane hole in the Caribbean. But then again this area has not had a direct hit by one since 1967. Tropical storms do brush us & once in awhile  we get a doozy, BUT not a hurricane.  Other parts of the island do get hit, mostly the Eastern & Southern shore, The Dr is larger than most think. North shore to The South Shore is 250 miles or so. Smile & come on down.

Thanks Tinker
And ya those temps aren't nothing compared to Rhoad Island. And what's bad here is it rains it  snows and then rains some more before it snows again

I wrote tongue in cheek, however the data was accurate. Hope to meet someday. My last boat was a stink pot, Marine Trader '34 . Took the flopper stoppers off.  Docked stern to at my bar in Salt River Marina, St, Croix, USVI  Both survived Hugo in '89.  40 years in the islands except a hiatus in Fl. for medical reasons.

Yes my contact in luperon said this:

Depends you can drop anchor for free, or rent a mooring ball, or go to a marina for dock space if they have any available. 

See you next fall!

Awesome Planner and Tinker
I've seen much of you both here in these forums. It's really nice and assuring getting "Boots in the ground" information. I've spent an excessive amount of time researching various places to live out my retirement and DR seems the most appealing. I really appreciate your input. Again Thank You!

You are very welcome.

For the most part the north coast has only two ports where you can legally enter into the Dominican Republic. These are Ocean World (already mentioned) and In Luperon (about 40 minutes from Puerto Plata). These ports/marinas offer services to take car of boats.

We already covered this.

I know Planner my dear but I'll stay quiet I don't want to get
:offtopic::dumbom:

You are good Lee!!!!   :D

Yes come to Luperon. We have a nice cruising and expat community here and the locals are super friendly. Most amenities that are needed by boaters are met. Plus it's the safest hurricane hole in the Caribbean, not only are we completely surrounded by land and mangroves but because of the location hurricanes do not come this way, they stay to the north or south of us. Anyway check the different Luperon Facebook groups and pages for more informaron of needed.