Moving to PR next year

*ive posted a similar article in the FB page as well.

Hi guys! I'm hopefully doing this post right. If not my apologies. I'm new here and my name is Amanda. I live in Japan and have been for eight years. I have a partner who is Japanese(35) and due to some personal things back with my family, we've decided to move to PR for a couple of years and see if we can make it work like we are in Japan. We also have a plan b if things don't pan out to come back to Japan and try a different approach.
I'm mainly posting because I'm worried for my partners work possibilities. He speaks Japanese and English and is highly experienced in construction and forestry work(over 10 years) his downside is that his Spanish is not even at a basic level yet. Just random words. We are currently working on it though.  But just stopping by for an intro and just hope if anyone has good hints for jobs he might get a shot at please let me know! We really would appreciate any help. I myself have been out of the island for eight years so I have my insecurities but know that I will be ok there since it's home. But of course it will be a 180 culture and general shock for him so I want to be able and verify the smoothest routes to get through all this. Thanks again all.

So, you're only going back  to PR for a couple years?

I really wish I could stay for the long run but I've planned for at least a few years while we try to settle and see if my partner will adjust to the place. I know already that I can manage in Japan but we both really want to return to the island and plan a future there. It will all depend on our financial situation and the feel of how our relationship and our mental states are doing. We are ready for a lot of challenges as well so not day dreaming of perfect scenarios either since I've just been back to the island and got a look see if what's going on. But I guess the most nerve wracking part of it all is finding a job which he can do. There's a lot of construction happening so I'm hopeful. But yes. Long term is the goal but we don't want to burn out in trying o get here before even having a feel of the place for a few years.

Yes I responded to the FB one.

Hello, please  dont worey. I lived here for 4 yrs and due to a head injury that happened to me injury,  this prevents me learning. People here are azing amd accepting

Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel less worried!  I'm glad you're doing well too!

Things are well please feel free to message me if you have more questions

Sounds lovely! I will let you know, thank you so much for the kindness!

With all of the destruction from the storm,  the Federal Government is spending a lot of money regarding the El Yunque rainforest.  With a forestry background, I would suggest that your friend contact the El Yunque administration.  I know that they have brought in a number of forestry experts and crews and I know that they will be working over a long period. 

The headquarters have been moved from the park to a temporary location in Palmer close to the post office.  I recommend that he should make inquiries there.  Palmer is at the intersection of Rt3 and PR 968.

El Yunque is a US National Park, so employment there is federal, not local.  Here's  the USDA National Parks site for more information, including employment at El Yunque.

If you move to PR, you and your husband's chances of finding good jobs are less than 10%. You will probably just burn up whatever cash you have. I highly encourage you not to move to PR unless you have secured a job first.

Your husband has a background in construction, which is a plus. There ARE jobs for individuals with such experience, as there is so much rebuilding to be done. If he has experience installing solar systems, even better.

I suggest you contact Airbnb and Hometogo and get a list of property managers and home owners renting out their places. Contact them and offer his construction services. Since Maria, it has been REALLY hard finding reliable help in remodeling, construction, handyman work. All the property managers have said so. I've been trying for 3 years to get someone to rebuild a small deck on my apartment. Every time I think I have a lead, it flakes out on me.

Oh, and he can leave a resume with Home Depot. It is always looking for experienced help and someone it can refer to for projects.

Hey, why don't you guys open up a shabu-shabu place. I'd die for some good shabu-shabu in San Juan.

If he's willing to entertain different avenues, Toyota de PR has management folks from Japan working in PR and their business hours in the island are for the most part after 9:00PM because of the time zone differential. If he's Japanese, he should pay them a visit in Rio Piedras and get in touch with them. I bet he could probably;
A- Get a job with them or
B- Offer his service to them. They have a very tight yet small community.

Hope this serve useful.