Liveable wage for a single mother?

Hello everyone.

I was offered a kindergarten teaching position in Khartoum. The salary offered is $1400 US Dollars, round trip tickets for me and my child, a $1100 US dollars  one-time stipend for school expenses for my child, $200 US for medical or pharmaceutical costs if the need arises, one meal per day and one way transport to work.
Is this a liveable wage in Khartoum and will it allow me to save a little?
I have been told school fees are around $250 US per month at Nova school (first grade), and that an apartment would cost around $375 plus $150 for utilities and that average food expenses are around $250. Is this feasible?

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

I would check out this site for living costs www.numbeo.com

Hi Adrasteia,

Hope you'll be doing fine. While deciding on the offer, the main thing which matters is how do you find this package compared to the opportunities you may have in your own country? If it looks tempting and intriguing then consider it otherwise don't.

Coming to the cost of living, it's a bit messed up these days due to high inflation, so make sure that you are paid you salary in USD or if in SDG, then at prevailing black market rate at month end.

Secondly you must work out some arrangement to remit money back to your country should you require so, normally it is currently almost impossible to make a remittance from Sudan through a bank (because of sanctions and all).

No. 3, do ask your employer about any potential tax liabilities and make sure whatever amount you agree upon is post tax deduction (if applicable).

Coming to cost of living, as far as groceries are concerned they are not hugely expensive. Let me give you an idea based on current black market rate for USD (39 SDG for 1 USD). These were the prices when I went last time for groceries. Prices, in dollar terms however, don't fluctuate much.

Lean Meat (Beef): 4.8 USD/Kg
Boneless Chicken: 3.0 USD/Kg
Eggs: 2 USD for a pack of 30
Sliced Bread: 64 cents/loaf
Packed Milk: 87 cents/liter
Youghurt: 1.15 USD/liter
19 Liters Bottle of Mineral Water: 1.15 USD (plus 6 dollars one time deposit).
Potatoes: 64 cents/kg
Tomatoes: 1.2 USD/kg
Onions: 55 cents/kg
Apples: 5 USD/Kg
Bananas: 50 cents/Kg
Mangos: 1.3 USD/Kg
Flour: 55-60 cents/kg
Sugar: 60 cents/kg
Cooking Oil (Sunflower): 1.5 USD/Liter
Cold Drinks: 15-20 cents for 300 ml cans
Cab Fares (Like Uber etc): around 15-20 cents per Km.

I think this will give you a fair idea to calculate cost of living. As far as accommodation is concerned, it really depends upon what type of residence you chose, but furnished apartments are expensive. A 1 bedroom, hall and kitchen apartment may cost around 350-400 USD/month. Some people also share apartments which can help lower costs. Utilities are relatively cheap. I have a big apartment with my family of 4, but never had to spend over 100 USD for electricity.

Finally, international schools are really expensive. Are they giving 1100 dollars/year or for just one time? In any case, most international schools charge around 5000 USD/year for kindergarten. I think its better to contact them personally to get a fair idea.

I hope this info will help you to make a decision. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Ahsan.

Thank you Ahsan, for such a complete and thought out answer. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your time and help!

All the best to you and your family.

It is interesting to note that food prices are not that low in Sudan.

Teaching Kindergarten at an international school or local school?
Most international schools will include tuition for your children to attend their school.
If the school is an international school, your salary would be double what you're being offered. If this is a local school, it is probably a tremendous wage in comparison to local wages.
Are they offering housing, utilities, transportation, health insurance or any other benefits?

sami_IBA
Hi. I wanted to know if it's possible to receive remittance from Europe to Khartoum and receive it in US Dollars, not in SDG?

As far as I am aware, any money may be remitted in any currency but you will get it in local currency when you pick it up. I would check with banks or money remittance centers about this.

Hi,

I don't think so. I think you can receive remittance only in local currency and that too at bank rate! which is significantly lower than the black market rate (like 29 vs 45).

Regards,

Ahsan.