Texas -> London; moving ?s

I recently got a job with a school in London, and I was wondering if there were any tricky parts about moving to England?

Welcome to the Forum Megan :)

A lot you will know but Expat.com has an Expat guide of England. That can be found at the top of the page under Handy Tools.

Be prepared to budget well, London has become very expensive. Use public transport forget buying a car ;) especially as in the UK they drive on the right side of the road and in America you drive on the wrong side of the road. :D

I always recommend making a note of the telephone number and address of your nearest Embassy just in case you should ever need them.

Find a good nice local pub, there will be the odd day you will need to visit it. (come from a family of teachers and sister use to teach in London) What part of London will you be working?

You will also need to find a GP in your area. As you will be working and paying tax you will be entitled to free healthcare but you will have to pay for prescriptions. Also finding where your nearest pharmacist is also a good idea. 

I can't think of anything more to say. But congratulations on your new job. Should you have any other questions feel free to come back and ask away.

Expat Team

Sorry, I just saw your other post....

mcullen :

I'm moving to London in August, I have a job as a science teacher. My biggest question is what I should do about my phone line, bank account and any other things I might have a problem with. Any future friends would be cool too!!

Opening a bank account is pretty straightforward, you just need to take your passport and rental agreement to one of them. If you are just after normal check account, they are all pretty much the same.

A phone line, I presume you will want a cell phone. I would get one that offers unlimited internet with also free SMS and call time. You will have to shop around. EE, Three UK, Vodaphone. There are others but those are the 3 main ones.
If you have a landline you have to pay for line rental also for broadband. But as you are in a good area of the UK I would tend to go with Mobile Cube then you don't have to worry about paying extra for line rental.

Sadly in the UK, you have to pay for a TV license, it costs £150.50 for a colour and £50.50 for a black and white a year.

New topic