Is the govt trying to limit rentals (airbnb) to 30 days or more?

Hello all,

I thought I saw a notice to this effect on the facebook forum.  So I  just wanted to find out if this was true or not.

I find this very distressing, tho I live in NYC and the government here is against airbnb (tho of course people still do it).  It does indeed help people to stay in their homes, and I strongly favor it.

But I do have a personal interest.  My husband and I were hoping to rent a place in Old San Juan for 3 weeks in January, as we are trying to get away from the cold NYC winter for a while.

So I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.  I think it is a very bad policy - if true - but I certainly hope that it is not.

Thanks very much.
Sharon

See my note about it "San Juan may prohibit short term rentals.", right now it is a proposal not a law and it could affect OSJ.

Sybil,

Either way, you're welcome to rent my ocean-vew 2-bedroom in Old San Juan in January.

My property manager did give me notice of the proposal, but I don't see it passing. It brings a lot of tourism to OSJ and those folks spend money.

I certainly hope it doesn't pass.  It's a bad law.  It's an issue in NYC also but I think it is very mean-spirited, b/c short terms rentals can be a real help to enable people to remain in their homes.  I personally am not interested in supporting hotels against homeowners.

However, could you remind me again about your house.  I no longer have any good records b/c I got involved in some other things.  I think I had a question for you but now I can't recall what it was.

Many  thanks!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct