Register for more than 3 months

Hi everyone.
I have just moved into a rented house in the Gabrovo area. The process was easy, I used Yantra Homes in VT and their agent negotiated a 25 euros reduction in the rent for me from an already very good price for a large 2 bedroom detached property. The only slight difficulty was that the Landlord doesn't speak English  (no reason he should) so when I  arrived at the house there were some communication problems but I managed to understand the gist of what was being said.
So, my question is, I am from the UK and I understand the 90 day rule, but can I extend my stay by registering at a police station and if so, what documents will I need and how long is the extension or do I need to apply for a D type visa?
I also have an old house near Pleven which I own (not inhabitable yet) which I can use as my address when I get registered which is the other   job I need to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Gerald

Answers to this question also very interesting to me. As I just moved into a rented appartment in Burgas, with a one-year contract.

Just registered in Plovdiv. They want a notarised copy of your rental contract (the landlord should visit a notary), your EU passport (UK still good!), your EHIC card, and proof of self-sufficiency, if you don't work (I have my  own company here now, so I did not need that, but people say a couple thousand leva in a Bulgarian bank will do).

Make photocopies of your passport and EHIC.

The permit will be given for the remaining validity of the passport or EHIC (whichever is shorter).

Thank you Sogy,  very helpful.

You are welcome! on't count on them even understanding English. Take an interpreter with you on the first visit (where they check you doc and give you the application form). It's easier for me, as speak Russian :)

If you are registering at the Gabrovo office, try to go in the morning when the woman is working. She speaks some English (although still take a translator) and is super nice/helpful. The man, who usually works after lunch, is a bit of a grump.

Thank you for the advice. I don't like grumpies.☺ I only landed here yesterday so I need to find a translator. I don't know anyone yet.

I will, thanks again. ☺

Sogy: Can you maybe explain a bit more as to how this is treated by the Authorities if you have a Bulgarian registered company? I would really appreciate it. :)

Sure! I showed them a printout from the Trade Registry web site about the company being (just) registered and myself being the owner, and they didn't ask me for any proof of funds.

Sogy: Indeed very encouraging to know. So, if I understand it correctly: It is the company address that is used, even if you want to buy a car? Is it then not necessary to provide proof of residence if you have a BG company?

No, WCO. You absolutely need to rent a residence for yourself before you go to immigration. And the landlord should be local, not absentee, because they will need to go to a notary (half the Bulgarians appear to be notaries :) ) to make a notarised copy of the rental contract. What owning a company saves you is demonstrating funds for self-sufficiency. You tick an "Employed/Self-employed" box in the form (and your mileage may vary in another city).

I know some foreigners buy cars and even property on the company,  but this is not necessary if you're an EU citizen. You can use your own (Bulgarian) address.

Also, if you are registering a company (and in many cases it is the only way to be self-employed) you'd better find an accountant that allows you to use their address as your company address. Otherwise, if you move, you will have to pay every time for changing the company address. And you need to shop around, some of them charge a lot more than others.

Thanks, Sogy - much appreciated.

The reality is that I am not a EU citizen but have a South African passport only. I am planning on moving to Bulgaria in September in will be in Sunny Beach & Varna for a few days between 7 & 9 June and then from then at a conference in Balchik until 15/06.

I am planning to buy an apartment in Sunny Beach for purposes of moving there from South Africa during September, so will be viewing prospects while there in June. I have already established a working relationship with an accounting firm in Varna who will assist me with the registration of the co. (I met with them personally when in Varna in June last year).

I will use this company to buy the apartment in Bulgaria and also to purchase a good second hand car.

Gathering from your feedback, it seems I am on the right track in my approach. Do you agree? Any comments or advice will be appreciated :-)

WCO, your situation is very different, so I can't give any advice. But hopefully you're on the right track.

Best option is to ask information at the embassy in Pretoria. Russians, Americans etc, non-EU citizens, have a way of living permanently.

They do. But it's not the same as for the EU cits. I have read some about it, but no personal experience.

So far as I know, it's called the D Visa. You need to buy (or possibly rent) a property. You need to show a source of income or savings (probably, much larger than for the EU cits). You need to buy private health insurance (which is not that expensive here). With this visa you cannot work, but you can run your own business. The visa is not permanent, but after 5 years you can apply for permanent residence.

The permanent visa is called visa D but it should be preceded by A and C (if I remember well). As for the grounds forobtaining it... may be different in the different countries, so its best to ask at the closest embassy.
This is only for non-EU citizens (requiring a visa, like Russia or S. Africa).
Those who don't require visas (Israeli, US, Ukrainian, Australian, Serbian, Canadian etc. citizens) will skip the tourist visa
EU citizens do not need any visa, not even visa D.

WCO in order for you to obtain prolonged stay an permanent stay after that, you'll need to have Visa D. It is mandatory to acquire it at. The embassy where your permanent address is. But the requirements are different than the EU citizens. If you are thinking for investment in property its price have to be at least 600k or to employ in your Bulgarian company at least 10 nationals, full time.
The best and the cheapest way is to have Trade representative office /TRO/ of your South African company. If you are a manager of the TRO tou will have the right to apply for Visa D and prolonged stay permit afterwards. Keep in mind that with the prolonged stay you won't be able to travel to EU only live  in Bulgaria. You will need medical insurance which covers the period of your stay and amount of money equals the monthly minimum wage of 510 BGN for each month you'll be on the territory.
If you need more information let me know.

Hi.  This can only work if you are EU. Otherwise you need more than 300 000euros in your bank account. The average SA person does not have. ....I wanted to work and was told D type does not give me a work permit.  I am royally stuck with all our plans to move to Bulgaria in September.  If anyone have a solution, I would really appreciate.

The work permit is separate from the visa (some people with d-visa are allowed to work, such as students (although only a certain number of hours per week) and those married to Bulgarian nationals). But the d-visa itself does not give you permission to work and applying for a work permit when you are in country can be difficult.

You can work as a freelancer if you have the skills to do so. You will have to register as a freelancer with the labor office. This is also a way to obtain a d-visa if you do not have the other means of obtaining it. However, you cannot be hired by a Bulgarian company, so you need to be prepared to basically run your own show and make a stable living from it.