Veteran moving to Bavaro how to get VA meds?

Im a Veteran and was wondering if there are any other vets on this forum and if they can tell me how they get there meds. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. I know there are other vets on here too.

Some Meds can be brought in by using a  mail forwarder and others bought here. Painkillers  will need to be via a doctor here.

Hi... I am registered with VA Miami n go back to get meds. The pharmacy management makes special arrangements to load me up with 6 months of meds at a time.

I should note that, as a MediCare recipient, I get my meds with an $8/month co-pay... your co-pay may differ. All my meds cost less than that at local prices, so I plan to travel less frequently.

BOTTOM LINE: if you have a DR citizen inquire for you at a local pharmacy to get local pricing, and no prescription is needed (NONE of my meds require prescription)  you may find that it is not worth a special trip.

As Planner said, pain killers are a special case.

From what I was to understand, I could get mine mailed to me once I established a mailing address.  I'm on the mail delivery system. Got to love the VA !! Can't wait to move there !!!

It also depends on the pain killers.  Public pharmacies, meds can be very cheap.

Depending on your needs, it may be possible to arrange someone to pick up your meds & use a courior service to receive them here. EPS can answer your questions & has a mail center in Miami that using your code will ship to a local office here.  It usually takes 10 to 14 days to arrive here.  PM me for any off the wall inquireies. Yeah, I can't spell.  Can't ship heavy duty pain meds as customs inspects everything. Good luck & welcome to here.

Yes mail forwarders are the way to go, not couriers they are brutally expensive. Lots of info here on the various mail forwarders already.

My error, sorry. I called mail forwarders courieors.  EPS is a forwarder that I have used for many years. They have offices all over the island. Very reasonable rates for receiving mail.

NO worries Tinker, we just were clarifying.  EPS , CPS,  BM Cargo are three of the best.  Each is a bit different in how they bill you and the services they offer.  Check them out to see what works best for you where you will be living.

There is VA (Veteran Administration) Liaison offices in Santo Domingo, Santiago, and Puerto Plata. It is paid for using VFMP (Veteran Foreign Medical Program). VFMP covers service connected disabilities.

I have known several people that have used/use them as their VA doctors here in DR.

Below is the Puerto Plata office, they can better direct where you should be seen.
Medical Liason  & Veteran Assistance
Calle Antera Mota, #6, Ciudad, Puerto Plata, DR.
Office phone: (809)-261-1867
Cell phone: (809) 284-2990

In regards to medicine, any medicine that is related to your SC Disabilities is covered under VFMP.

Let me know if you need anything else

I live on Playa Encuentro in Cabarete.  I get all my  Va MEDS  from the LA Vet hospital pharmacy via package service: CPS.  It cost $4 a pound.  Very reliable and pretty quick.  Sign up on MYHEALTHYVET.ORG and CPS free sing up.

Hey good morning. I am a US veteran and a former Marine

The only way to get something via VA Services is to go to Santo Domingo to Medical Liaison Veterans Assistance you can reach them thru this link: web.facebook.com/MLVADR/ . You can also contact me at ***Puerto Rico number I live in Monte Plata

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details for your own security

Good to know I was not ever informed of this method

Don't forget about the Puerto Plata and Santiago offices.

Oh wow!!! This is great!! Thanks for the information guys!!

The best veteran clinic is WellVet, there are two locations, Santo Domingo and Santiago.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/65k4m3UG1CxvXQJLA

@Snead48. Hi , I am a veteran in Boca Chica RD and there are clinic here for veterans ..

@Snead48 HI, yes there are clinics here that attend veterans including meds .

Hello Ramon Rodriguez,

Please note that this is an old thread and that Snead48 has not been active for the past 4 years.

i am therefore closing this topic. Members who might have the question are requested to open a new topic on the Dominican Republic forum.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed