What does one can buy as property for 250 K USD ?

Not having a crystal ball telling us how prices will increase, or how the bubble will burst, but we'd like to hear opinions / advise what one can buy for around 5.5 billion VND these days.
We need space. Like 100 SQM or 3 BR's  but don't trust too much local developers selling new projects at low prices. Better buy second hand? Wait another year?

Foreigner are not allow to buy house in Vietnam. You are allow only to buy apartment but new only NOT SECOND HAND !!!

And the property will be yours only for the term of the contract. Usually 50 years. It's mean after 50 years you must give back the apartment.

The lower price I can see it's under 1 billion VND. But it's low cost apartment and usually in some places far from the center : district 8, district 9, district 12, district Thu Duc, ... 

So for 5,5 billons I think you can find better (3 rooms for example, like your wish).

It will be better to buy next year ??? I don't have a crystal ball ...

For 5.5 billion, check into q2 apartment in thao dien, Ascent condo,D edge condo, Estella height , those are high end condo

expect to pay more taxes in the near future. Just think about how are you going to repatriate your $$ later? 250K is a lot to fit into a suit case.

Hi Chris59000, and thanks for that! May we have your source for this information, please? It seems to run contrary to that which my own research, and to what discussions with local solicitors, has shown.
Also, please see the following links
https://tinyurl.com/ybqm966j ,
https://tinyurl.com/yd77cb3e ,
and
https://tinyurl.com/ydb99f82 .

This is a rather timely topic for me, as I have recently been shopping the market to gauge what prices and/or house conditions I might expect.

Thank you again.

Best,
Aidan

QuidProQuo wrote:

expect to pay more taxes in the near future. Just think about how are you going to repatriate your $$ later? 250K is a lot to fit into a suit case.

There are also people who don't anymore want to leave Vietnam.

Andy Passenger wrote:
QuidProQuo wrote:

There are also people who don't anymore want to leave Vietnam.

Yup. People like me.
I'll let the executor of my estate worry about repatriating and distributing assets. I have no doubt that my beneficiaries will find a way to get at the proceeds of any asset sale. They're resourceful like that  :)

Aidan

I just read your documents (the 3 links you wrote in your previous post), and if you read correctly it said exactly the same ...

what point do you see different ?

Aidan in HCMC wrote:

Hi Chris59000, and thanks for that! May we have your source for this information, please? It seems to run contrary to that which my own research, and to what discussions with local solicitors, has shown.
Also, please see the following links
https://tinyurl.com/ybqm966j ,
https://tinyurl.com/yd77cb3e ,
and
https://tinyurl.com/ydb99f82 .

This is a rather timely topic for me, as I have recently been shopping the market to gauge what prices and/or house conditions I might expect.

Thank you again.

Best,
Aidan

I just read your 3 documents (the 3 links).  I don't see anything run contrary. So what point seem to you different ?

Hi
You can get properties in D7
We have a 3 bedroom 119 sq meter
3 bedrooms plus office and laundry room
High ceiling, terrace
Swimming pool gym room for residents
220,000 $ with European apliance kitchen and fully furnished.
Close to many international schools as well.

Having resided in Vietnam for the past 7 years while acquiring extensive experience in the property management (buy and sell) discipline, I can safely advise you to be most careful and cautious and diligent in your research, consideration and decision-making relative to purchase of any kind of property/real estate, either land or structures (house or condo). My Vietnamese partner is a bank manager with years of experience in property assessment, building codes and brokering. I am learned, mostly through her about the most sensitive aspects, positives and pitfalls to consider when investing in property within this country. Building codes/regulations do exist but are not always enforced or followed by contractors/developers and many a contractor has fled the country with investor monies followed by horrifying construction and other related issues left behind. Many contractors have, as well, not escaped shoddy construction or design issues and/or embezzlement of investor monies resulting in their imprisonment. These events are quite common in Vietnam. What you can buy with $250,000 may be something good or something bad depending on how careful your have scrutinized the property market in terms of property valuation, brokerage fees, brokerage experience, contractional arrangements, constructional design and above all else, sorry to say but so true, the corruptive tendencies of so many in the building/property sales industry in Vietnam. "The buyer beware" has never been such a truism as it is here in Vietnam. $250,000 may get you a 100 sq.m. apartment or $350,000 may get you the same but beware of what you are getting for each. $250,000 may get you a house or several houses depending upon the size or age of the house but whatever you consider be ready to protect yourself against fraud, corruption and deceit.

There has been some talk on land rent extension recently

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/busine … ppose.html

I'd love to buy something here myself, but am giving it a year or two before taking that plunge.

Why, for the Love of God! Would anyone in their right mind buy property in Asia, let alone Vietnam. I am speechless. Have you seen the rest of the world?

No. Only Australia and here. So please feel free to educate me.

TigerPlease wrote:

No. Only Australia and here. So please feel free to educate me.

I think VN would be a nice place to live except for the heat and humidity. Cost of living is good.   I'm living in California (costs alot to live) right now and kinda miss living in VN.

Asian jimmy wrote:

I think VN would be a nice place to live except for the heat and humidity. Cost of living is good.   I'm living in California (costs alot to live) right now and kinda miss living in VN.

Vietnam is much less humid than TX, FL, LA (Louisiana, not Los Angeles), AL, TN, NC, SC, and upstate NY.

VN is always going to be More hot and More humid than mainland US, simply because it's Closer to the Equator.

Honestly, where I lived in Australia was hotter. I have a job that allows me to work remotely, so spent the last 2 years travelling around Vietnam, living a different place each month. The hottest place being HCMC in July :/ Dalat is 15ish degrees all round and it got down to 8 while I was in Ha Giang. It also snows up in the highlands at the right time of year :P

Asian jimmy wrote:

VN is always going to be More hot and More humid than mainland US, simply because it's Closer to the Equator.

Hotter, yes, but definitely not more humid.  I've lived in more than half of those Southern states and been to all of them at various times over the decades.  The humidity was higher, to the point that I couldn't be outdoors at all during the summer there unless it's in the car.  I don't have that problem with walking in Saigon, and we do walk daily. 

Don't take my word for it, look up the numbers on humidity indexes and compare.

Also, as Tiger said above, humidity level is very different in different parts of Vietnam.  Less than 100 km away and with more or less the same temperature, Vung Tau is much less humid than Saigon.

Ciambella wrote:
Asian jimmy wrote:

Hotter, yes, but definitely not more humid.  I've lived in more than half of those Southern states and the humidity was higher, to the point that I couldn't be outdoors at all during the summer there unless it's in the car.  I don't have that problem with walking in Saigon, and we do walk daily. 

Don't take my word for it, look up the numbers on humidity index.

Also, as Tiger said above, humidity level is very different in different parts of Vietnam.  Less than 100 km away and with more or less the same temperature, Vung Tau is much less humid than Saigon.

I always thought the sheer amount of concrete in HCMC had something to do with the heat. I'm based back in HCMC for a while now while awaiting the arrival of our baby, right now I'm looking out at cloudy skies and last night was the only one in the pool... because it was too cold for most haha. Cheap electricity helps on hot days, I usually have 2 AC's running 24 hours.

It could just be those that bring up the heat/humidity are from much cooler climates though.

Ciambella wrote:
Asian jimmy wrote:

Hotter, yes, but definitely not more humid.  I've lived in more than half of those Southern states and the humidity was higher, to the point that I couldn't be outdoors at all during the summer there unless it's in the car.  I don't have that problem with walking in Saigon, and we do walk daily. 

Don't take my word for it, look up the numbers on humidity index.

SEA in general is hotter and more humid over a period of time than the USA states mentioned.

This from a website about humidity, bear in mind, one of the highest rates of relative humidity is in Norway.

Cities in South and Southeast Asia are among the most humid. Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, and Singapore have very high humidity all year round because of their proximity to water bodies and the equator and often overcast weather.

TigerPlease wrote:

Cheap electricity helps on hot days, I usually have 2 AC's running 24 hours.

Cheap electricity?  :/

I pay here in Vietnam about $ 70 a month.
In my home country I payed about $ 250 a year.

Many people here in the tower building have no air condition or don't use it and let the apartment door open instead (as a result, there is always noise and bad smells  :huh: ).

Gas and water ist cheap here in Vietnam, but not electricity.

Andy Passenger wrote:
TigerPlease wrote:

Cheap electricity helps on hot days, I usually have 2 AC's running 24 hours.

Cheap electricity?  :/

I pay here in Vietnam about $ 70 a month.
In my home country I payed about $ 250 a year.

Many people here in the tower building have no air condition or don't use it and let the apartment door open instead (as a result, there is always noise and bad smells  :huh: ).

Gas and water ist cheap here in Vietnam, but not electricity.

Once EVN's monopoly finishes, we should see better rates of electricity.

I find it cheap. Compared to Australia $300-$600 a month

colinoscapee wrote:

Once EVN's monopoly finishes, we should see better rates of electricity.

Is this already under discussion or could it still take decades or never?

Because of the high electricity I plan to install photovoltaics in our future house.

TigerPlease wrote:

Really?
This is extremely expensive by my standards.

Yes, depending on where you live and if you are running AC or Heating, expect massive power bills if you aren't connected to solar.

Andy Passenger wrote:
TigerPlease wrote:

Really?
This is extremely expensive by my standards.

Australias electricity is extremely high, one of the highest in the world.

Wherever you choose to live in VN . Do a smell test (make sure you can live with the smells). Also try to get the evening breeze.

Firstly, foreigner is not allowed to purchase a house but an apartment indeed.

Secondly, you can't get a 100 spm house at 5.5 billion vnd as price has been up and up day by day.

Thirdly, if you insist to buy a house instead then you must have a local on your behalf but there's a huge risk of turn around the table by a greedy local.

The law changed in 2015 and foreigners are allowed to own houses, but not the land.

https://www.google.com.vn/amp/s/ampe.vn … 65707.html

Ceevee369 wrote:

Not having a crystal ball telling us how prices will increase, or how the bubble will burst, but we'd like to hear opinions / advise what one can buy for around 5.5 billion VND these days.
We need space. Like 100 SQM or 3 BR's  but don't trust too much local developers selling new projects at low prices. Better buy second hand? Wait another year?

Have you tried to surf Capitaland's projects such as: Vista Verde in D2, Feliz en Vista in D2, and the lastest launch project in D4 named De La Sol.

I think they meet your budget and expectation, they will consult you professionally in real estate law in VN too.

Regards,
Ni