Renewing expired Carte de Sejour

Greetings, My carte de sejour was obtained in 2009 through marriage and expired in 2012.  I didn't renew it since we were headed back to the US. The  marriage ended in 2014. Can anyone tell me if I can renew my old carte de sejour or do I have to go through the process of long stay visa application not through family association?
Is there an embassy in the US that is more communication-friendly (that may  be a redundant question) since my question does not fall under any general category I can find.
Thank you!

well, just got an answer. I have to re apply all over again.

Carte de séjours don't remain valid after being out of France for a year or two, even if they haven't expired.
I have a friend who got her 10-yr card just before moving back to the states - it will be no good after only a short while.

My husband and I have lived in France for the last 27 years.  We had a business from 1998 - 2009, my husband was employed from 1992 - 1998 and are now retired, receiving both a French and British State pension.  We had 10 year cartes des sejours which expired in August 2007 and were then told that it was unnecessary to renew them.  In view of the current situation, we would now like to apply to renew these cartes.  Does anyone have a similar experience and do we have to go back to the beginning with our applications?