Hello All,
My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving from NY to Belize and would like any insights.

I work in Health Care for over 40 years, Public Health, Clinical Educator , and my husband is an Auto Technician for over 40 years also. His skills are very diverse and can fix almost any gadget.

We love nature, out doors and love the water. I do enjoy gardening  and we are looking for an area where we can garden, and live, not totally isolated , but some solitude is our goal.

I am also into Alternative Medicine and would like to do some work in that area. I use ten simple Natural Laws of Health in my practice . My long term goal is to set up a Life Style Center, which would create jobs for the Belizeans.

I plan to travel to Belize with my husband, son and daughter, in November, 2018 and would be looking to spend 1-2 weeks and would be looking for a 2 bedroom flat/house/apartment.

Thank you for any recommendations.

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

For better exposure I suggest you also post this on the Belize section of the forum.

Thank you.

Hello > your post is now on the forum Belize.

Good luck,
Christine

Unfortunately getting work in Belize as an expat is difficult and time consuming even for self employment.

Thank you very much.

What terrific said is true, and that includes RN,MD,JD,DMD...
If you click on the "Work" category description on the R side of the forum page, you can read previous threads of peoples experience with this issue. It would take some capital investment and a lot of time and paperwork, but it is do-able.

Thanks for info..

Hello,
I was excited to read your post as we have some things in common. I am from NY and currently live in NJ. I work in Health Care as well. My husband is a chef and owns his own corporate cafe here in NJ. We have 3 children however only one still lives at home, he is 14 years old and in 10th grade.
We have been to Belize once so far and did a 10 day trip to Ambergis Caye, the mountains and down to Placencia. We rented a car in Belize City and drove the entire way. We are a planning to go back next month and again in Nov or Dec. We really want to go during the busy season to get a real feel for the tourist season. Since my husband is a chef a option would be to open a cafe or restaurant or maybe a food truck.
I would love to correspond with you.

Interesting. I haven't seen any food trucks down here  :)

Keri MeHome314 what area do you live in?

There is a very popular food truck in Cayo district "Miss Debs" she has regular time slots in various places, and goes to all the major festivals and large gatherings. She has a good faithful clientelle From both the Local and expat community. At first the Local population were wary as her prices seemed a little  higher than most local food places but they soon came around when they found they liked her food.

@terrific  Does that mean that she is mostly in the SI/SE area, or does that include the Belmopan area also? I will definitely be looking out for her truck.

Yep definately Belmopan, she comes to the green on Thursdays nights when there are movies on, the  lines get long. She also goes to Spanish lookout whenever they have things on (they have things more often than a lot of expats realise) Also she has a web site that she tells in advance where she will be for most weekends.

Terrific
Thank you for that information looked her up on Facebook. What type of food do you think would do well there?

mjlang231 wrote:

Keri MeHome314 what area do you live in?

I'm in Corozal District.