Overstaying fines in Brazil

Hi there,

I understand that the overstaying fine has gone up in November 2017. I was  wondering if the new fine  will only apply to overstayers after the November 2017 date and that those who have overstayed before that time can re-enter Brazil and pay the former fees.

Any help would be welcome as there is a big difference between R$828 and R$10,000!

Also, can a friend pay the fine for me in Brazil but then how do I find out how much I will be charged?

Thanks

global pilgrim,

The short answer is, overstays prior to the new fine rate going into effect in mid-November 2017 are charged at the old rate, fines since then at the new rate.

It appears that you're posting from England.  When you left Brazil, were you told that you owed a fine?  If you were told, then you would have been told how much you owed as well; if you weren't told, then you probably don't owe anything.

Dear Abthree,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my concerns. I am relieved that I would be charged at the old rate. Is there somewhere in the law that specifies that this is so?

Yes I am in the UK and well, it's a rather complicated issue. I knew there was a fine to pay and had the cash for the maximum fine ready (just in case). I had tried to pay the day before ( a Friday)  at the Policia Federal in Guarulhos but was told I could only pay on the day of departure!

Anyway to cut a long story short, on the day I was leaving, the Immigration officer said that I would pay a fine when I return to Brazil. I said NO and that I wanted to pay before I leave. She went to speak to one of her senior officers and I was told that they could not fine me as they did not know how much the fine should be! I told you it was a complicated affair!

Is it possible for a friend in Brazil to pay this fine for me so that it's all sorted before I fly to SP?

Thank you for your help. It's very much appreciated.

global pilgrim

The new (now current) law took effect on November 21, 2018.  Overstays prior to that date are fined at the old rate, R$8.28/day, to a maximum of R$828.28; overstays from that date forward are fined at the new rate, R$100.00/day, no maximum -- it keeps accumulating until the tourist leaves.  So, if you left Brazil on November 20, your fine for days overstayed beyond your visa  is R$8.28/day, up to a maximum of R$828.28 for 100 or more days, period.  If you left Brazil on November 23, your fine is whatever the days prior to November 21 would have cost you at the old rate, plus R$300.00:  R$100.00 per day  for the 21st, the 22nd,and the 23rd.  The day you leave counts against you.
To pay your fine, you need a government payment voucher, a GRU (Guia de Recolhemento da União), which you or your friend can generate at this site:

https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/gru2/gru?nac=1&rec=2

The code for the fine is 140 414; the Federal Police may be able to generate one for you when you arrive.

If you friend tries to pay for you, s/he has to be able to get the receipt to you before you leave home.  If you're going to pay on arrival, you need to time your arrival for a weekday during banking hours.  The Federal Police will not accept payment directly, but it's been reported here that they will hold your passport, allow you to pay your fine at a bank in the airport, and then admit you to the country.  If you arrive at night, on the weekend, or on a Brazilian holiday, i.e., any time the banks are  closed, you may find yourself on the next flight back to Heathrow.
Good luck!

Correction to one statement above.  The Federal Police apparently is interpreting the new law as setting a R$10,000 maximum on the overstay fine.  Not great news, but better than no ceiling!

abthree

I am  grateful to you for  taking time to explain all this and thanks for the link.

Can I pay this via  my credit card, then I do not need to bother a friend or wait for the receipt to arrive before my departure?

Thanks again

Global pilgrim

You can pay with whatever the bank will accept, but you have to pay at the bank, I believe.

Jim

Jland912,

Yes, I will do that, pay at the bank rather than online

Thanks

I had over stayed one day they gave me a form to sign and left Brazil. I had my girlfriend in Brazil pay the fine to Federal Police she sent me photo of the paused form with the paid receipt. When I arrived back in Brazil they never asked for anything at customs. It was recorded in their system I assume. Just like pointed out if you try to come back you will have to pay the fine at the Bank of Brazil in the airport but they keep bank hours open at 10 am.

NewBrazil

I have not got my ticket yet but I see that most flights from the UK to Brazil arrive early in the morning. if this is the case, I am going to ask a good friend to find out how much fine I owe and he will pay. Hopefully, this will be recorded in police  system and it will all be good.

Thank for your helpful comments.

NewBrazil

I was wondering, did they put a 'big fat' stamp in your passport to say that you've overstayed?

Thanks for your help.

If you were not fined then you have nothing to worry about. My experiences with Brazilian authorities (4 flights in/out) in general is to always “go with the flow” and not make demands of any kind.
It will do much more in the long-run. Making demands is something one should only do in the UK 🇬🇧.
- Just friendly and well-meaning feedback. Best regards

When I was leaving I had stayed over one day by 4 hours bummer. They gave me a paper to sign and it had the fine on it. They said I could pay it when I returned but has to be at Bank of Brazil. I had my girlfriend friend do it in her town I sent her a copy of the paper just photo. She went to Federal Police and then went to the Bank paid the fine it was the old cost. Then sent me a photo of the paper. When I came back they never ask to either papers  at customs just processed me thru no problem. You should have a paper and should have signed one before leaving.

If you have a fine it will be in the system. If you paid it another way like a girlfriend did it, it will automatically update. They will not ask you at the airport to see a receipt...when it was paid it updated. They might have you sign something or not at the airport on the way out...it just depends.

Yes I agree it was in the data base but in Brazil always be prepared I have found. They like their paperwork.

You will be charged the maximum possible but you can appeal the fine at the Defensoria Público. You have 10 days from the day that federal police issues the fine. You can say that you can't afford the fine