Moving Challenges worth the Effort?

After reading several different posts regarding a variety of situations, it seems like many things are hard to accomplish due to the "extra fees" imposed by the government, or just anyone you need something from;
car, import, residency papers or not, rent or not. The higher rate for the foreigner and not the local and heaven forbid you don't speak the language....:[ So, all that said, is it worth all the effort to move there?
Are the beaches that exquisite? and the people friendly? What say you?

2nd question: How many people do you know that leave sooner than they expected?

Thank you for your honest answers.

(granted, it depends on what your current circumstances are)

Welcome to the forums.  After almost 15 years here I am still in love with my life here.

Yes there are challenges. 
Yes some days are hard.
Yes!!!  It is worth it to me.

Do learn the language. Start to understand the culture.  Watch and learn and enjoy.

Thank you for your reply Planner.  I am bilingual, Spanish, my mother was Dominican she died many years ago raised us in the states. So the culture shouldn't be an issue, we ate the Dominican cuisine everyday :) and were forced to speak Spanish in the home.  (so glad she made us do that)
Take care and enjoy life in DR!

Thanks.

We have visited for a few years. My husband is Dominican, but born in the states. We just bought our retirement home in Sosua.

When I look out from our porch and see the cruise ships pass, when I sit on the public beach and see the mountains of Puerto Plata, when I fight the motos for sidewalk space walking to the Playero, and even when I watch older men flirt with the street girls of Sosua, we smile and look forward to the years to come.

With so many doubts, the only solution is to come here, Spend a couple of months scoping things out for yourself, You have valid questions that can only be answered by you. If after you have learned what is important to you, can you make the correct decision. No one has the same eyes or the same feel of the reality that confronts them. If you re content where you are, stay there and just come for a vacation. Like it? Return for a longer time. Want an adventure, check it out. Truly hesitant, don't commit to anything.  Not everyone can make the change & adapt to a new way of life.  No one fits in everywhere, no shame involved.  hey, give it a whirl, you may be pleasantly surprised.  Yeah, give it a shot!    Remember, other opinions are just that, other opinions.

ChristieE,

Thanks for helping me envision myself there!  Reading about the paperwork challenges had me reconsidering.  Yes, life seems easier with the ocean nearby.

tinker 40,

True dat.  :top:

We won't be doing the paperwork for a while.  😎So i suppose we are wearing rose colored glasses. I hope Robert's parents being Dominican makes it a bit easier. Time will tell.

ChristieE, Now I love more than your Hat! With just a few words you gave us the essence of life here>  Thank you for this clarity of life here. Bravo!

Christie, your hubby can get citizenship, which means residency then citizenship for you too. Way easy!!!

That is good news. But, being Dominican means he is a procrastinator extroidinarre. 😂🙁 I am trying to get him to get his plato's in a row! I have downloaded paperwork and his parents are looking for their cedulas.

Start pushing!!!!

Does anyone know if owning real estate and how much qualifies one as an investor...for residency? And/or we can also show 2500 in rental income from investment properties here in the states...is there such thing as a mix ...one spouse investor, the other independent means?

2500 in rental  income with a long term  contract should qualify a "couple".  As individuals you need 1500 a month. For a couple it is 2000 per month plus 250 per month for each additional dependent.

Just curious....when did the amount per couple change to $2000 +250 for each dependant? It used to be $1500 + $250. Thanks

I believe it was always  1500 for a single,  2000 for the couple plus  250 for each dependent.  Since the change to the new system I believe.

It depends on the category of residency you are applying for.

If you are RETIRED / PENSIONED you need the minimum equivalent of US$1,500 + US$250 per dependent or higher.

If you are an INVESTOR or HAVE INCOME FROM YOUR BUSINESS you need the minimum equivalent of $US2,000 + US$250 per dependent.

To qualify for these categories of residency the primary applicant is the one that needs to show the full amount of these earning. It can NOT be US$1,000 from the first applicant and US$1,000 from the second applicant.