Major crime problem in Mahajanga

In all my 15 years living in Mahajanga I have never seen the the rise of gangs till the last three weeks.
Gangs of boys from ages 11 to 20 years old are attacking neighborhoods.  It is various groups of gangs of boys that travel in a pack of 25 to 50 boys.  The figure is that some 150 boys are attacking in different groups. They raid Businesses, people on street and now some private schools report as of today that they are closed because of the attack of boys attacking students and teachers and stealing and hurting who ever they can with knives, sticks, chains and even guns.  They stop cars and tuk tuk at night by setting up tables on the road.  The police have yet to get involved but I assume some action will be taken soon because the Presidents of neighborhoods are starting to speak out.   Be careful if you are in Mahajanga.

School St John Darc in Mahajanga was attacked two days ago by young boy gangs as well as 5 other schools in the Antanimalandy neighborhood.  My wife has a sisiter   who has three children in St john Darc did not send her children to school on Wednesday.  This news has not made the French Newspapers but is in the Malagasy news for three  weeks now.  I watched on the news last night that they caught four boys, one looked like he was only 9 years old.  Problem is that some of these boys are children of people in government so they will be set free to terrorize the community again.  School Francaise, where my children go, has armed security guards at the front gates.
Tuks tuks try to run in groups at night when they can.

How it looks like in the other parts of mada?

I can only speak what is happening in Mahajanga.  What is happening around the island is just hear say and I can not say what is true.  Sorry, but if you can ,maybe you can go onto the French forum where you will get more information.

Thank you Alex. I took a look on french forum. Situation seems to be tight all over, more or less. Take care guys.