Relocating to Den Bosch, Questions Regarding Daycare and Job Distance

Hi there!

I am from Romania and I am planning to relocate to Den Bosch in 2019,  together with my husband, 2-year old son, and two cats.

I have a few questions that I am hoping you can help me answer.

1. Our son will not be of school age when we move and I keep reading online that daycare is expensive, but was not able to really understand what this would mean for our budget. How much should I actually expect to pay?

Also what arrangements do people typically make there for younger kids? Should I be looking for a daycare / kindergarten / childminder? Is this something I should arrange long in advance of my arrival there?

2. Since we will both be working full time, I am wondering what our options will be if the child gets sick. Is there any special type of leave for this or do people just take vacation days? Are employers generally accepting of this? (where I live now we have paid medical leave to care for a child, but depending on employer sometimes they just prefer that you work remotely).

3. I have started searching for a job but I am not sure how close or far to look, mainly because everything seems easily reachable by train, Utrecht in 26 minutes, Eindhoven in 18 minutes.

Where I live now I spend 50 minutes a day commuting 3.5 km....

Is it possible to live in Den Bosch and work in Utrecht or Eindhoven and is it reasonable to expect trains to be reliable and to keep the total commuting time under 40-50minutes?

4. I was planning to start University again. Do the dutch have options for working professionals? Studying part-time or remote?

Thank you for reading this. Looking forward to your answers.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum :)

SpiralDancerGirl wrote:

I can't help with your questions, but I hope your commuting travel time was a typo or is it really that bad?

SimCityAT wrote:

Hi and Welcome to the Forum :)

SpiralDancerGirl wrote:

I can't help with your questions, but I hope your commuting travel time was a typo or is it really that bad?

Thank you for the reply and for the welcome :)

Unfortunately it's not a typo, it is really that bad, and it's one of the reasons behind my choice to relocate. Bucharest currently has the worst traffic in Europe and as a new parent I can no longer live with it.

I hope I don't sound to be rude, but would have been easier to walk? But that is really shocking. I don't blame you for wanting to move. I get frustrated travelling 35km and its taking 60 mins on a train, but it does stop at every station, so I tend to if I can swop trains to a fast one which does just stop off at a couple of main stations. Sorry, I am going off topic. I am sure someone will come and answer your questions within the day. Have a pleasant day :)

SpiralDancerGirl wrote:

Hi there!

I am from Romania and I am planning to relocate to Den Bosch in 2019,  together with my husband, 2-year old son, and two cats.

I have a few questions that I am hoping you can help me answer.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Forgive my snipping your original post.

At the top of the page is a link tour Handy Tools section; if you select that, you'll get access to our expat guides.  These contain our Expat Guides which contain Information that may help you plan your journey.

To answer your specific questions:

1.  Daycare costs.  For all cost related questions, I use the Numbeo website; this link will take you there.  As to who should look after your child while you are working, all that you mention are options that people use; my wife decided to stop working until the kids were old enough to go to school which begins with what we used to call Kleuterschool (age 4); this has now been absorbed into the elementary schools.  As to which childminder, preschool or daycare to use; my advice is to speak to other Dutch mums when you get there.  During the period my wife took off, she took the opportunity to upgrade her nursing qualifications.

2.  Sick children.  It's called "Care Leave"; employees are legally entitled to take (short-term) care leave to look after a sick relative such as a child, partner or parent, extended family members (such as siblings or grandparents) and acquaintances (such as a housemate, neighbour or friend).

Within a 12-month period, employees are entitled to take short-term care leave equal to twice their weekly working hours.  So, if you work a 40 hours week, you can use up to 80 hours per year for care leave.  During this time you are entitled to at least 70 percent of your pay; we never used it, but this sort of thing will normally be included in the CAO for your workgroup; ask your new employer.

For cases of life-threatening illness, long-term care leave is also possible; up to six times one's weekly working hours, however, an employer is not obliged to pay any salary during this period.

3.  Commuting.  Holland isn't that big and has excellent public transport; I know people who commute across the whole country.  I wouldn't recommend driving anywhere in the rush hour, commutes as you are currently experiencing are not unusual.

4.  University.  it's possible, my daughter has just started again while working at her full-time job.  Her employer helps out by allowing time off to attend the necessary lectures; ask your new employer.

Once you've read our Expat guides and checked out any links provided; if you have any further questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello,

I am also relocating there, and I have a 2 years old boy. My husband just received an offer and by first of January we are relocating.

Please let me know if you have answer on your questions yet and how is living in Holland and den bosch specifically is it hard on your baby and you? What are the positive and the negative points.

I am searching everywhere for answers before we move. Thank you in advance