How to discover the cultural scene in India

Hello,

Moving to a new place and learning about the culture goes beyond adapting to customs and traditions. The art scene (music, art, literature, and cinematography) is also a big part of discovering a new country.

What are the best ways to learn about the cultural scene in India, and how important are the arts in the country?

Did you do a lot of research prior to moving, or was it easy to explore the art scene after your move?

How would you explain the art scene in India? What is the most salient art form in the country, that you would recommend for future expats to explore in order to adapt and integrate faster: literature, cinematography, music, etc.?

Which art form and artist most represent the country's culture, and why?

Are there certain activities or places such as art centres that would help to explore the culture in India?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello,

Moving to a new place and learning about the culture goes beyond adapting to customs and traditions. The art scene (music, art, literature, and cinematography) is also a big part of discovering a new country.

What are the best ways to learn about the cultural scene in India, and how important are the arts in the country?

Did you do a lot of research prior to moving, or was it easy to explore the art scene after your move?

How would you explain the art scene in India? What is the most salient art form in the country, that you would recommend for future expats to explore in order to adapt and integrate faster: literature, cinematography, music, etc.?

Which art form and artist most represent the country's culture, and why?

Are there certain activities or places such as art centres that would help to explore the culture in India?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

As far as I know, I would say that the best time would be right around any major festivals like Dusherra, Diwali, Ganesh Chaturti and Janmashtami. This is the time when the crowd is the nicest and this is when you can see Indian traditions at its pinnacle. If you have Indian friends then I would even recommend attending a wedding of theirs. This is also one place where the entire family gathers and there are different tradition in every state and every city too.
India being a diverse country, I don't think it is physically possible to experience every tradition in one life time!

I would suggest to visit a place called chokhi dhani in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
You will get a flavour of complete north india at that place.

India is very diverse. You need a lot of time to experience a major part of the art & culture across India.

I'd suggest you spend the time Oct - Feb in a cultual centre like Chennai. During this period you will experience major festivals like Navaratri, Diwali, Pongal and the music festival season - in addition to the New Year & Christmas festivities, Weather is Quite good during that time. If you're lucky, you may also experience what 'monsoon rain' is all about !