China visa denied? Please help!

I am a US citizen in Thailand and would like to apply for a China tourist visa. I applied before in Vietnam and was denied, but the Chinese embassy refused to give me any explanation why. I have asked a few travel agencies and they believe I could have been denied for the following reasons: I have stamps in my passport from visits to Turkey and Taiwan; I listed my job as "social worker"; I have been traveling in Asia for 2 years. I am wondering what I can do to prevent being denied when I apply for my visa again here in Thailand. Thank you for your help!

So what's your status in Thailand? self-proclaimed social worker? work visa/ permanent residence?
I guess you will more likely be denied again if your residence status in Thailand/Vietnam or at any other country is not clear.
WHy dont you apply from US?

I notice the you significantly did not mention your citizenship status. This is a pretty serious omission, and 90% of all denials have to do with WHERE YOU ARE A CITIZEN from.

No one here at the forum can give you any kind of information without you giving us a full picture of your situation.

I currently have a tourist visa in Thailand. Thanks for your help.

You will have to apply at the country of your residency.
Option two is visa-free transfer, means booking a flight/cruise from Thailand to shanghai then Vietnam. OR the other way around.
Look up "TWOV shanghai"

RENEW YOUR PASSPORT so they can't see those stamps!!

Not knowing ALL the details it's hard to comment but most likely you will not be denied if you apply in the country where you are from.  Traveling around now isn't what it used to be in the past.  China has become tougher on who they allow in.  If you really want to come here, then you may need to go home first to do it.  At one time you could go to HK and then get a visa there but even that now is more difficult.

Just stay in Thailand. Perhaps this will solve all your problems about coming to china.