What do you wish someone had told you before you moved to Shanghai?

Hey guys

Just been offered a job in Shanghai. I will be moving in August. I would really appreciate any tips / guidance/ info as Ive never done anything like this before. What do you wish you'd known before you did it? What would you do differently?

Thanks 😊

People have complained here about tricky contracts (English contract is not valid in China!), been promised health insurance, turned out to be obsolete, offered a shitty apartment, been told living expenses in SHanghai/China are dirty cheap and so on.
Affected people are mainly English teachers and young professionals without international exposure.

just a remind, house fee is quite expensive in shanghai.  talk more about this with your employer.

good luck in shanghai.

Rike yao

Be careful of the "bait and switch". They promise you one thing, and when you arrive, they say the situation changed (your fault, of course) and they offer you something different.

If you are a guy, take enough shoes and clothes to last your trip.  It is highly likely you shall not find shoes which fit.  My foot wont even go into the largest shoes in the shoe stores. 
Take your own deodorant. 
Get WeChat.

You can get shoes, trainers from most of the markets to fit as long as you are not size 14 uk!
Reputable companies look after you, so research, research, research. Tell us the employer and maybe people on here can answer more easily for yoy.