Health Insurance

Hello,

I recently got a job offer in Recife, Brazil to teach English.  I am wondering about health insurance.  When I move there, is it wise to get health insurance beforehand or cheaper to just pay out of pocket?

Any advice?

If you have permanent residence, you are eligible for service with the basic governmental program, SUS;

If you want higher quality care, buy insurance.

Buy insurance, it's worth it and not that expensive. The free healthcare...you get what you pay for. I have Unimed and love it. Not sure what the common healthcare provider is in Recife.

I'd be more concerned with the city you are going too. Be careful there, I didn't like the few days I spent there. My Spidey senses were tweaking a lot.

Thank you! Could you tell me more about the insurance you have and how much you pay?  And I know Recife haha, I have been there before and I see potential in it, but I know it is very dangerous.

Thank you for the advice!

Well as a family of 4 we pay about R$800 a month but its top of the line premiem service. Its all based on age, so if your mid 20's and healthy it should only be around R$200 a month for you. I was in the hospital twice last week and it cost me nothing. I was in and out in minimal time (2-3 hours), because with insurance I bypassed all the free healthcare folks. For Recife I don't have the knowledge of what healthcare provider is best there. My only advice is to have insurance, its worth it and a peace of mind.

Glad you know the danger there...its real nice city during the day, but when the sun retreats so did I.

If you can afford it it is a good idea to buy a health plan. We have it through my Wife's job which she is retired from. It is very affordable. Sounds like the Unimed is also. SUS is good in some areas others not so much. Even if you get a private health plan it's good to have a SUS card too.

Jim

Oh thats not too bad.  What is the name of insurance you have?

Thank you Jim!

Congratulations on your job offer!
You definitely want to wait until you get to Recife to purchase insurance.  Your employer may have a group plan:  if so, that may be a cheaper option for you than an individual plan you buy yourself.  Before you buy an individual plan, ask around about which carriers have a good reputation in Pernambuco:  some companies that have good networks in the Center-South do not in the North and Northeast, and vice versa.
The Cigna plan that advertises here is worth checking out, if their acceptance is good in Recife.  They offer more payment flexibility that the Brazilian plans - but that only helps if you can use it!
Finally, as Jim says, get your SUS card right away, while you're getting the rest of your documents.  It's fast and easy (took me about an hour, most of it in line), and will ensure your basic coverage, come what may.

Wow thank you Abthree!  Question....what is a SUS card?

SUS is Brazil's single payer healthcare system.  Everyone in the country, citizen or not, is entitled to free health care under the Constitution.  SUS provides it.  You get the card from the Department of Health in your state.

Oh so I get it in the United States or in the state I am staying in Brazil?

In the Brazilian state where you end up living, Pernambuco, in your case.

Oh, thank you very much for this information everyone! Does anyone have any recommendations for health insurance?