Moving to Hai phong

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Hai Phong. Looks a lovely city, is there much of an expat scene?

There are always jobs advertised in Haiphong, most expats dont like the place.

Whys that?

I suppose the only way to find out is move and see if you like it. Not a big expat community there.

thayes1987 wrote:

Whys that?

It's a ghetto city. Hai Phong is notorious for gang bangers and con artists. Just ask any local Vietnamese.  If you tell people you're from Hai Phong they know they can't mess with you like they would with people from other places in Vietnam. Hai Phong people are hard-knock and thug-for-life kind of people.

There are not many foreigners in Haiphong. Most would not living in the city full time, they have an apartment in Hanoi (usually at To Ngoc Van) that they come back during the weekends. But you don't have to worry about gangsters or con artists. Sure you don't want to argue with the people there (terrible dialect especially when they are talking loudly), but I assume you don't speak Vietnamese so just stay away from those that look angry and you should be fine. It is a just very small city, moderate in everything compare to other cities like Hanoi or Saigon. It is not much different from Da Nang actually, both small and mildly developed, but while Da Nang developing into a tourism city, Hai phong has a seaport and industrial zone so it doesn't look as nice as Da Nang. Also the people might seem not as friendly as people in Danang or the South but believe there are good and bad people there just like everywhere else. Btw, Hai Phong for the last few years has more Ms. Vietnam than any other cities so I guess in general the girls there are better looking and less lame than Da Nang ones.

Ha ha ha........

That last sentence in the previous post should allay any fears this guy has about the place being a ****

Given the track record of  a lot of Expats here , it's amazing what they'll put up with for some ***.

It'll be Hải phong at full throttle.

Moderated by Anas 5 years ago
Reason : Mind your language.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Yogi007 wrote:

Ha ha ha........

That last sentence in the previous post should allay any fears this guy has about the place being a ****

Given the track record of  a lot of Expats here , it's amazing what they'll put up with for some ***.

It'll be Hải phong at full throttle.

Yogi did a Boo-Boo... 🤣

Grrrr,
Yogi got reprimanded.....not the first time.   I'm a slow learner.

I would have preferred a spanking but I've been made to write out
100 times
“Yogi must not refer to people as knuckleheads or dorks”.

Yogi007 wrote:

I've been made to write out 100 times  “Yogi must not refer to people as knuckleheads or dorks”.

I would've added "unless they actually are" to the sentence.  Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

It amuses me to read that even foreigners know the stereotypes given to the people of Haiphong. I plan to open a gym with group fitness and muay thai kickboxing to those who might be interested, message me.

Guys, I was a Haiphong citizen. I grew up there and just moved to Germany 2 years ago. Please don't think about over the other guys mouths. Rumors are rumors. Haiphong has the biggest Auto factory in Vietnam and many industries areas around. And also has one of 3 biggest harbour in the country. So how can you say there not many expat there. Around my house (at Van Cao str), you can see Japanese and Korean people everywhere. Plenty of Bars and Nightclubs open overnight, so how do you say about security? I don't say there's no gangster, however they only deal with other gangs, if you don't try to mess with them, then there'll be no reason to fear. And need some local friends? Tell me. I can say you'll feel like home there :D

thiennp wrote:

Guys, I was a Haiphong citizen. I grew up there and just moved to Germany 2 years ago. Please don't think about over the other guys mouths. Rumors are rumors. Haiphong has the biggest Auto factory in Vietnam and many industries areas around. And also has one of 3 biggest harbour in the country. So how can you say there not many expat there. Around my house (at Van Cao str), you can see Japanese and Korean people everywhere. Plenty of Bars and Nightclubs open overnight, so how do you say about security? I don't say there's no gangster, however they only deal with other gangs, if you don't try to mess with them, then there'll be no reason to fear. And need some local friends? Tell me. I can say you'll feel like home there :D

In relation to expats in Haiphong, seeing as most people who ask about other expats living there are usually English speakers, I don't think they are looking for Korean or Japanese to hang out with.

Well, what has been said "There are not many foreigners in Haiphong. Most would not living in the city full time". Unless you count Korean or Japanese as local people. I didn't mention another purpose.

thiennp wrote:

Well, what has been said "There are not many foreigners in Haiphong. Most would not living in the city full time". Unless you count Korean or Japanese as local people. I didn't mention another purpose.

Ok, let me spell it out for you.

Whoever said that,I presume would be referring to the fact that you won't have many other foreigners to hang out with who can converse in English. Seeing as this is an English speaking website, and most of the questions are related to English teaching jobs. It's is fairly safe to say that they are looking for people that they can interact with in English. You have to read between the lines.

That's what you think, you don't need to be aggressive and say hateful things about our city. And how much do you know about Haiphong, or have you been there once?  But ok, I'm here to help the people who need help. You don't like, I don't care.

thiennp wrote:

That's what you think, you don't need to be aggressive and say hateful things about our city. And how much do you know about Haiphong, or have you been there once?  But ok, I'm here to help the people who need help. You don't like, I don't care.

Geez, what are you ranting about. What hateful things did I say. Grab your bat and ball you little baby.

This thread is running off topic now so can we all take a deep breath, relax and get back on topic please.

Been to Haiphong for a couple months. Stayed at a local inn then switched to staying with a family there, nice gated home with marble floors and French bath!

I recalled seeing westerners while there (1 to 50viet), but I didn't speak to any. I was content with doing my work, then taking in the local life and daily morning jogs through the market as they set up.

If you're 6' tall, I doubt anyone will give you any trouble at all, just don't get run over by scooters, but even with scooters, you can play leap frog crossing without problem after your first few days. I didn't have an issue with any of the locals any time during my stay there. There are things I did I normally do in every cities of the world I travelled to, don't carry gadgets and maps openly, don't look like an idiot, don't act like an idiot (picking up a local's spouse) and don't walk at night drunk by yourself (ok only one time when I was in Shanghai).

Really great food in Haiphong. I didn't hang out with expat or did I care to. What is the point of going to a foreign city to be with your local home drinking buddies? Play a language tape every morning and you'll slow pick up the language. It worked every morning on my way to work in Copenhagen too.

1 to 50, wow!.

The expats have moved there by the thousands. That would make around 30,000 expats.

That's relatively speaking. If I were in a local park there or in a government building, if about 50 people were seen there, I'd see one expat. Not 1 expat per certain square density.

Skid Justice wrote:

Not 1 expat per certain square density.

Great word, density.

It explains so much...

Hi 😁 I will be moving to Haiphong at the end of the month. Can you recommend the best areas to find an apartment? And where do we find the good bars and clubs? 😜

SA_gal. wrote:

Hi 😁 I will be moving to Haiphong at the end of the month. Can you recommend the best areas to find an apartment? And where do we find the good bars and clubs? 😜

Whatever you do, don't complain about the karaoke in Haiphong.

Karaoke

I am curious about the fact that in the past, Haiphong has been described by many expats as being a center of organized crime and corruption and not at all a good choice for ESL jobs.   To a certain extent this was attributed to its being a major import point.  Harbor cities are often corrupt in many countries.

Has this changed significantly in the last 5-10 years?   As this would appear to be so, any ideas why?   Da Nang was reportedly cleaned up in the early 2000's by a mayor who clamped down on corruption (sorry that I don't have a name.)  Did something comparable happen in Haiphong?

I'm not sure if anything has changed, but Da Nang is definitely my first choice. I would much rather go there, bút there does seem to be more jobs in Haiphong and the company I work for said it was the closest they could get us to the coast… so I'm just hoping it will be a good experience for us. The managers we've spoken to say they love it there so there must be some good.

Up this post since I'm currently in Hai Phong. 2 months here and still alive and kicking as foreigner. Jokes about vehicle plate no starting with 15 or 16, leave it as a jokes. In my observation, formerly "vice" city is due to the ports where income generated, now mostly reliant on industrialism, mind set changed as well. The only really things to be afraid here is the trucks / haulier. Remaining "When in Rome, do what Romans do" and sit back while enjoy the Bia Hoi.

As where to build the cocoon, suggest Hai An area anywhere along the stretch of Le Hong Phong road. If into food, seafood is much fresher if not cheaper. Street food ( for those stomach that made of steel ), Banh Mi Cay, Banh Duc Tau and Bun Ca Cay is the specialty here. Those who have sweet tooth, Dua Dam is not to be miss.

The only setback of Hai Phong is that it may not be as vibrant as Hanoi or Saigon but hey with thuoc lao within your reach, the night is young all the time.

Rules of the thumb, stay humble and you will thrive here.1f60e.svg
The thuốc lào from Hải Phòng is the finest in all of VN, IMHO.
Also, I hear the electronics markets would be like a candy store for DIY'ers like myself.

I've never been (yet), but judging by the comments it sounds like I would fit right in.1f4a5.svg
@Aidan in HCMC

Still blending myself in here. Hope can play host to you should the opportunity arise.263a.svg

@thayes1987 yeah Haiphong is a lovely, peaceful city. I don't agree with people who say that it's a not good place to live. You can experience it firsthand

Hello Danghang,

Welcome !

It's been 4 years since we last heard from that member ...

Regards

Bhavna

@alexneoh how's life been in Hai Phong? still alive kicking and thriving as a foreigner? been offered a job there and am considering accepting it, but haven't read lots of nice things about the city, so thought i should ask expats living there

@SA_gal. what about you?? hows Hai Phong treating you? found any bars yet? 1f605.svg