Transportation options

I have been living in Thailand for 3 years. I like the idea of being an expat in Phuket but getting around the island concerns me.

IF I remember correctly the taxi fare from the airport Phuket town was 1.700 baht? A taxi anywhere...about at 300 baht . Correct?

I am not at all keen on riding a scooter on Phuket... Just too fast and crazy for me. Yes.. I could buy a car.... But parking it at each destination... Was not easy when I rented one before.

So how does one get around the island to visit freinds... Explore... Or check out another beached? What are my options? Song taew? Bus? What exactly. Or... Is there a more pedestrian friendly town that the need for transportation is just not needed very often?

If you have a motorcycle licence, you could think about getting a real motorbike and riding it the way you would in the West and stay alive.  I ride a big bike up north and find it a great way to get around solo.

1happkamper wrote:

Or... Is there a more pedestrian friendly town that the need for transportation is just not needed very often?

I think two options for beach towns would be Hua Hin and Pattaya.  Many people are negative when it comes to Pattaya because of its reputation as sin city but that part of life is not in your face unless you venture to those area's of town.

I live in Wongamat beach area of Naklua, which is north side of Pattaya.  You can walk a couple hundred meters to catch songthaew (cost 10 baht) to where you want to go or just walk.  Within 3 km's you will find Central Festival Mall (located on Pattaya Beach Rd.), Lotus Super center and come October Terminal 21 will open.  There are also many hotels, restaurants and small shops within that 3 km range.  If you live in central Pattaya you can walk just about anywhere you want to go if thats what you like doing.

I'm not familiar with Hua Hin but I am told if you live in central part of town you can walk most places you need to go.

I suggest you use street view in google maps to walkabout in both cities or any other place people recommend.  Then make a trip to see first hand.

Thanks for the reply. I have never been to pattaya.... However your thoughts on living there are extremely interesting. Thanks!