Considering buying property as a foreigner - restrictions?

I live in UK and have just returned from Mauritius. We have always wanted to move abroad to a small island at some point. Looking for advice on the types of property we could buy - are there restrictions? I know we must spend at least 500,000 Mauritian Rupees in order to get citizenship. Keen to hear of any other rules that apply please,  Thanks in advance, Carol

I have the same question, I'm just from South Africa.

It's USD 500,000, not Mauritian Rupees and it gives you permanent residency (10 years actually, renewable) not citizenship. Citizenship is a completely different issue.

As a foreigner, you can buy properties in Integrated Resort Schemes (IRS), Real Estate Scheme (RES), Investment Hotel Scheme (IHS) which are all realty programs for foreigners.

Other than the above, you can buy apartment valued at MUR 6 million at least and situated in a building of at least 2 storeys.

Thanks, Winston, that's really helpful.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you, need to start saving now

HI All, I am Italian and British ... and my wife is from Mauritius. we live in UK at present but we plan to buy a property there. Any hint? advice?

Moamed79 wrote:

HI All, I am Italian and British ... and my wife is from Mauritius. we live in UK at present but we plan to buy a property there. Any hint? advice?

Are you moving to MUR permanently?

Yes but not now. I m planning now to buy a house so in 10 years time with my partner who is mauritian i will move there

You'll need a residence permit and for this your property should cost a minimum of 500,000 USD + taxes as already said above. Then, do you want an existing house or can go off-plan? In the latter case you can customize it and the price will be much more favorable. As soon as you've decided on these questions, you'll need a local bank account. Next goes reservation contract for the unit. Along with that, you'll submit  your application for permission to acquire property. That's quite a lot of paperwork and while you can delegate it to lawyers or paper writing sites (for the applications), you'll still need to be present in person.

my partner is mauritian and we will be married by then. still all these restriction apply?

If you buy the house on your partner's name (as a Mauritian) there's no restriction.

just on her name? so even if we are married the property cannot be half mine? mmm... why is that? is very interesting

Moamed79 wrote:

just on her name? so even if we are married the property cannot be half mine? mmm... why is that? is very interesting

It's a regulation as only citizenship grants you the right to purchase property located outside of schemes earmarked for foreigners.

One of the reasons for this is to prevent foreigners from indulging in sham marriages as a shortcut to buying  and owning properties.

i understand now. well it make sense. I will see what i can do

IRS/RES/IHS what is the meaning of these? do i have to look at properties under all the 3 schemes?

IRS/RES/IHS are select schemes implemented to allow foreigners to buy properties in Mauritius. Each has a different price tag and different conditions apply.

You don't have to consider all three, you just have to invest in one of them.

Unless you really want to invest in different schemes, then you are free to do so.

http://www.investmauritius.com/media/25 … hasers.pdf

Thanks a lot to all of you for the info

I live in South Africa and we've visited  Mauritius 5 x. We have always wanted to move abroad to a small island at some point. Looking for advice on the types of property we could buy ? I know we must spend at least 500,000 Mauritian Rupees in order to get citizenship. Keen to hear of any other rules that apply please,  and what would the first steps be for us to retire in Mauritius. Thanks in advance, Teresa

Terry-WP wrote:

I live in South Africa and we've visited  Mauritius 5 x. We have always wanted to move abroad to a small island at some point. Looking for advice on the types of property we could buy ? I know we must spend at least 500,000 Mauritian Rupees in order to get citizenship. Keen to hear of any other rules that apply please,  and what would the first steps be for us to retire in Mauritius. Thanks in advance, Teresa

This question has already been answered above.

It's USD 500,000 not Mauritian Rupees. And it gives you permanent residency, not citizenship.