Importing car

Hello ,
I am about to import a  car in malta from EU. To pass the inspection can I use head lights deflector or should I consider to change the light beams ? Do you have any  information ?

Inspection indeed ... I almost went to the trouble of giving our car a good wash inside and out, glad I didn't go to the trouble. Upon arriving at the Transport Malta HQ in Paola, the Inspector chap did a highly technical, thorough inspection which involved taking 2 photos with a point and shoot digital camera ... one of the dashboard to get the mileage, the other of the sticker inside the door which has the vehicle details ....

He didn't go so far as walking around the car or examining it in any way. I was hoping he would at least kick the tyres or have a peek under the bonnet ...

MERCRI wrote:

Hello ,
I am about to import a  car in malta from EU. To pass the inspection can I use head lights deflector or should I consider to change the light beams ? Do you have any  information ?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/767/32463804664_07cc7a9174_z.jpg

Did you have a left hand drive car as well?

MERCRI wrote:

Hello ,

Please see excerpt: ‘….In this regard, anyone bringing a vehicle into Malta from any [EU] Member State will be able to EITHER:

1) Present an original valid roadworthiness certificate (VRT) [MOT] issued in another Member State and showing the latest odometer reading by any approved entity as shown below:

VOSA UK (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) or ANY Vehicle Road Worthiness Testing/Inspection Station (VRT) issuing Odometer Certificates within the European Union;

OR

2) Present an original valid odometer certificate issued by any one of the approved entities as shown below:

• JEVIC UK LTD, United Kingdom
• CAR PASS, Belgium………'

Source: VRTs [MOTs] now accepted by Transport Malta for registration of used vehicles brought into Malta from an EU Country - The Malta Independent Daily, Wednesday, 2nd July, 2014:

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 687607297/

Is importing a vw T4 camper from the UK possible?

DDCG wrote:

Is importing a vw T4 camper from the UK possible?

yes, search the forum it's all covered in past posts.  It might be prohibitively expensive

I put my question wrong, I am actually planning on driving it there, I just need some infos about the possibilities of keeping it there, changing registration,... so much homework to do 😬

DDCG wrote:

I put my question wrong, I am actually planning on driving it there, I just need some infos about the possibilities of keeping it there, changing registration,... so much homework to do 😬

Importing cars has been covered, you just need to read previous posts on the subject. It explains what you need to do. etc....

DDCG wrote:

Yes, thats 'importing a car' and the other posts apply to your situation.

volcane wrote:
DDCG wrote:

As long as you are not registered in Malta, e.g. als long as you do not have a Maltese ID-card, there's no need to register your car in Malta either ... as long as the (foreign) VRT is valid, of course (theoretically  ;) ).

matm911 wrote:
volcane wrote:
DDCG wrote:

As long as you are not registered in Malta, e.g. als long as you do not have a Maltese ID-card, there's no need to register your car in Malta either ... as long as the (foreign) VRT is valid, of course (theoretically  ;) ).

Not “as long as” no. There are max periods it can be here and you too have to take a ID if you are here a certain period. And they do now check on ferries etc to track quick day trippers who want to avoid this.

And the local constabulary have regular vehicle checks and stop everything with a foreign plate and check documentation.

Note the twice annual customs auctions of people's mercs and porches being sold because they won't / can't pay the fines lol

matm911 wrote:
volcane wrote:
DDCG wrote:

Not strictly true.
You can stay with your car for 3 months as a tourist with a possible extension to 6 months, after that you are obliged to apply for residence and your car becomes liable to 'Registration Tax'.

Also you would not have a 'Maltese ID Card' you would have an eResidence card!

Ray

There's always an exemption (especially when it comes to Malta) ... at the beginning I was totally legal in Malta for almost 10 months without the need of an ID card and had a car with foreign license plate registered on my company. It's called deployment within EU ... after the contract ended I registered at VAT Dept Malta and exported my car on paper outside EU. Was a good deal at that time.