Student visa cancellation

Hi guys, i need some advice here, I am Indonesian and currently staying in Indonesia but i still have Malaysian student visa which expires on 26 May. I am still seeking for an employment in Kuala Lumpur at the moment. My plan was to get a full time job and then apply for working visa, so that i dont have to exit the country when im in the process of applying for my working visa, but until now i still havent heard from any company that i have applied to. Should i just cancel my student visa now or should i just wait until few days before 26 May to cancel my student visa? Thank you

It's not really practical to shorten/cancel your student pass as that would require you to travel to Malaysia to send your passport to immigration. You could just let it expire now. The validity that is left is of no use really anyway as you would have to be outside Malaysia if an employment pass was being processed. That's the rule. You may struggle to find work now because foreigners need 2-3 yrs experience to qualify for a professional EP.

i see, so even in the transition of student visa into employment visa, i still have to leave the country?

Yes while the decision stage is ongoing, the person has to be outside Malaysia. Rule was introduced in August 2016. You would also need a Visa With Reference (single entry visa) from the Malaysian consulate in Indonesia to enter for work purposes. https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/TC-ES … r-2017.pdf

The same is required if being hired on a Foreign Worker EP.