HOME SECURITY IN BRAZIL

How I miss my fenceless, wall-less, everything less home in California.
I understand the desire to protect one's family and self from criminal actions, not only in Brazil but in all Latin American countries, by installing barbed wires, electric fences, bars and huge walls, but I feel the need for feeling safe simply because, if needed, the law defenders will be at my door within a few minutes after I call 911.
I live in São Paulo in a house with low walls, no gadgets and no fences or bars. Of course we lock doors (not that naïve), but perhaps miraculously, our house hasn't been breached yet.
I have neighbors that, to my right, have a 10 foot wall with electric wires in top.  To my left a neighbor has 8 feet high bars which a criminal could jump over in 15 seconds.  Further to my left, the next neighbor used to have a fence but has now been building a wall, around 9 footer, in a time frame that in the US I could have built an entire house.  The cost is probably the same as the house I could have built in the US.
I can't believe these barriers will do much to protect, other than the illusion of protection.  Nothing can be as effective as an effective police force.

My security is perfect here in Brazil, if not safer than America. We have no fences, walls or anything else besides a shrub line dividing us from our neighbors. We live in a condominium that has very good security. The peace of mind is well worth it.

You get what you pay for. Live in a secure community and be safe. When you venture outside the community be careful where you go. Don't go through bad neighborhoods or do business in those areas either.

We looked up the FBI crime statistics before moving here and it was determined we were more likely to get murdered, robbed or something else in Albuquerque, NM compared to here.

We're currently renting in a ~50 year old condominium in the Historic Center.  Unlike similar buildings in this part of town, it doesn't look like a fortress, but the passive security is well designed.  There's no commercial space in the building, so no reason for anyone not associated with residents to be entering.  There are only two apartments to each floor, the first ones two stories above ground level.  The entrance level is about 3 m above the sidewalk, overhangs it, and has decorative grillwork that looks resistant enough to deter climbers.  The grates on the garage level are even heavier.  There are no neighboring buildings of similar height.  For me, the difficulty of access is proven by the fact that, except a little at the sidewalk level, the building is free of graffiti.
In terms of active security, there's 24/7/365 concierge service, and the competent, long-term employees know the residents on sight.  There's no unaccompanied access to the garage.  We feel very safe here, and, between that and all the building's other advantages,  are looking very seriously at buying.