Health Insurance

Does anyone know of health coverage in PR that would also work in the states?  We need something that will work for both until eligible for Medicare.

Can someone shed light on how this works?

annabfalter wrote:

Does anyone know of health coverage in PR that would also work in the states?  We need something that will work for both until eligible for Medicare.

Can someone shed light on how this works?

Dont know for sure if it works in the states but SSS triple-S) is the most common in the island and the one used by most expats that I know. They are associated with Blue Shield, but not sure if they cover the US.
Health insurance
Triple S https://www.ssspr.com/SSSPortal Tel. (787) 774-6060
1-877-357-9777 (Toll Free)

Give them a call they also give you a quote.

Thanks, Rey!

annabfalter wrote:

Thanks, Rey!

Sure, let me know if they cover the US.

Hi Anna:

The answer is yes and no. BUPA, a vendor out of Miami that offers concierge service with a stateside network for world travelers used to offer their service to local executives looking for stateside coverage. Their medical underwriting is very strict and selective meaning $$$ because it was offered on an individual basis but last I heard, they pulled the plug on Puerto Rico because of their loss ratio.

That said, if you have a large enough business meaning > 80 to 100 employees, it's possible for you to get a quote with Major Medical coverage that extends to both Puerto Rico and the US. Your best bet right now for that kind of coverage would be through Triple-S (Blues). However, said coverage comes at a premium so not many employers in the island quote the benefit. Cigna Healthcare in Puerto Rico used to offer a seamless PPO network with the US for employer groups > 50 but they closed their doors.  The rumor in the local insurance market is that United Health Care will re-open its doors in the island and that could perhaps open the opportunity of having a seamless network with the US. The need is there specially after going through hurricane Maria but my take is that the local economy would not be able to support/ absorb a seamless network due to rates and adverse selection among other factors.