Health Insurance

Hi, I am moving to SZ in July and I need to arrange healthcare cover for myself. I have found various providers that I am happy to use, but being from the the UK I am a little naive as to how it works if I become ill? Say I break my arm, what hospital do I go to? How will the staff there know they can treat me and receive payment?

If I have a more serious issue that requires surgery will the healthcare provider arrange it?
If I need to see a GP or Doctor where do I go?

In my experience, even the simplest task in China can be hideously complicated, especially for a foreigner, so I am a little concerned about the healthcare situation.

Any recommendations for healthcare providers would also be welcome.

Thanks,

Jon

i got offered health insurance but healthcare is cheap, and you pay wechat or cash. if it is treatment that will cost thousands then just fly back to the uk for your NHS right :) i been to hospital twice, i had blood taken and ct scan, cost less than 1200 rmb. and results are in your hand within half an hour .  i been out her 15 months and still finding it a minefield to navigate. i really must make an effort to integrate and learn more than the 5 phrases i know hahah

As I am relocating for work, the company is going to pay for healthcare so I might as well take advantage of the offer. If I have an accident or require emergency treatment then I will need cover and If I can't pay up front then I will probably be left to die in a Chinese waiting room!

Also the NHS is great but under pressure right now and I don't want to be flying back to have an appointment with the GP, then have surgery 3 months later!

yes i think you  have to pay upfront , and apply for reimbursement. please be careful and mind your step :)

Hi Jon,

In this case, it is advised that you visit an international hospital in need of a medical attention. There are various international hospitals in Shenzhen (as well as in many 1st tier cities in China), and some of the high-quality international hospitals are certified with  internationally recognized certificates, where the services and staff are up to standards in developed countries, such as Europe and America.

There are many international insurers offering coverage plans for both China and worldwide as well, notable insurers including AXA, MSH, Cigna, Allianz, GBG, Ping An etc.

Private international hospitals in Shenzhen:

- Vista-SK International Medical Center
- Shenzhen AMCARE Women's and Children's Hospital
- Shenzhen Harmonicare Women's and Children's Hospital (JCI accredited)
- The University of Hong Kong - Shenzhen Hospital (ACHS accredited)

Private Clinics:

- Chiho Medical Centre
- Distinct HealthCare Clinic

Dental Clinics:

- ARRAIL Dental
- BYBO Dental

Thanks for this Jimmy, it's really helpful information.