Moving cats to Belize from Canada

Does anyone have any experience at moving cats to Belize from the Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal Airport ?  I have three indoor cats that I would like to bring with me when I move to Belize and currently live in Ontario.  West Jet seems to be the only airline that flies direct  but it seems they don't allow checked animals to Belize.  All the others that I can find have one or more transfers and long layovers so I am not comfortable with my cats being subjected to that stress or possible hazards.

Perhaps a silly question but are your cats small enough to fly in carriers in the cabin?

Unfortunately no.  Although I might possibly get one of them into a carry-on cage. I think the limit is one per passenger and I am a single senior flying by myself.

We moved 3 cats from Edmonton to Belize in 2013. At the time, only United flew from Alberta, so we had to use them. They stayed one night in a vet-run kennel That works with United at the Houston International Airport. They were well taken care of and arrived stress-free. Unfortunately the cats were old (12 years) and could not take the heat in Belize so we had to fly them back to Canada a month later. We will be flying 2 young cats here the same way in June.

Thanks!  That is great info. Unfortunately, the closest United to me that flies to Belize is Chicago.  A long way from Eastern Ontario!

Couple years ago I flew from Toronto to Belize with an old cat in the cabin with a soft sided carrier. But it was American Airlines to Miami and then Belize City. BAHA was fine other than losing my original faxed health cert. He got used to the heat eventually even though he is a long hair. He passed time sleeping and hunting lizards. I am in Merida now and he spends time sleeping in front of the AC.

Thanks Susan - I think I might need to leave two behind and go for the cabin carrier but will just need to keep checking the options.  The heat in Belize seems to be a concern now too!

We dealt with this and our dogs and they went through the transfer no problem. the airlines have handlers to meet their needs and they are well looked after. Not sure where you are in the process but contact BAHA in Belize and they will tell you the requirements. Also if your planning to move to Belize I lived there for 6 years and can answer any of your questions. Look at my ad in the housing section Lee Oltmann is my name. Hope this helps

The heat is a issue but they will adjust we had 2 cats there and they were fine but a warning. The male cat was not fixed and was a active hunter and one night did not come home never to be seen. We think something ate him

they were Belize cats Mayan we got local

Thanks for the information.  It is all very helpful!