1 year visa, do i need permesso?

I understand that the visa allows you to enter italy and the permesso to stay, and that one should apply for a permesso 8 days max after entering Italy. (I think this applies more to people who cannot enter Italy without visa, i can enter even without any visa)

But, if I have a multiple entry, 1 year visa (for study). I dont understand the need to apply for the permesso...... Is the visa not enough?

If i apply for the permesso NOW, it will probably expire at the same time as my visa (in 1 year), so I see it as wasted money and time.

Can i apply for the permesso in like 6 or 8 months?

Sorry, but i just dont understand the reasoning behind having a 1 year visa and needing to also apply for a permesso immediately after entering Italy, and i cant find an answer anywhere.

What is the 1 year visa for, then? If you have to apply 8 days after entering the country and if you can live legally with the receipt they give you,   why have a 1 year multiple entry visa?

The permesso di soggiorno is something that remains from an old Fascist law that was never abolished. The Visa allows you to come in and out of Italy whereas the PDS allows you to live here. Having said that if you don't need to work here and the place you are studying at doesn't require it then you might just forget about it. You might need one for stuff like getting a rental lease or even a monthly bus pass in some cities but if you can reduce your contact with Italian public offices you would be doing yourself a favour. The law does say that you should apply within 8 days but nobody really cares. Italian police are not going to deport you or even be bothered in the rare event that you should be stopped for a spot check. You would be treated like a long staying tourist and that might be good enough for you. If you have to get a document like the PDS I would suggest getting an Italian to go with you. Dealing with bureaucracy here is complicated. At times you need to be nice, at times you need to give shit. Knowing when it's time for one or the other requires experience.