How Much to Live Good Life in Thailand?

You could also look up agoda.com. I've used them before and they seem pretty reputable. They have a very wide range of places, for less then 30 days. So if you're looking to book with agoda for 30 days or more they don't do it.

Thanks , I will check it out , pity no fridge here otherwise very nice place ..

I'd listen to above recommendation, it's a great restaurant, clean and very pleasant with the garden out back,don't let it being next to Biker Bar put you off ( I drink there regularly, the owner At a real character!)
It's a great spot, close to everything and a terrific vibrant feel...keep in mind bars close at 12, so noise isn't usually an issue.
As far as living on 31000bt a month, if that was my budget I'd be looking at Vietnam....
My interest is motorcycles, and the roads out of Chiangmai can't be beat, so I'm staying here, cheers!

If you are a real adventurer and you want to get way out there, you can live nicely on $600 a month, food and lodging. Beers and any luxuries are extra. Been there. Done it.  dcb

Hi All,

This is my first post as planning for retirement currently 42 planning on 55.

I own a very nice seaview 2 bed condo in Phuket which is paid for, and would retire with circa £150,000 in the bank, then with a monthly income from pension of circa £1K per month with an additional £1K per month rental income from UK property.

This may seem ok but still leaves me very worried on surviving on this amount.

Speaking as something of a novice;

Having rental property in Phuket is a wise move. From everyone that I have been  talking with about Phuket, it is expensive, even for Thai's. That being the case then it might be wise to live somewhere other then Phuket, retaining your rental property in Phuket.

Just a thought. - There will be never ending doubts, just overcome them.

Regarding Salsa's search for a place to live, a number of permanent expats have lived for upwards of 7 or 8 years in Chiang Mai Mansion.  The monthly rental, I think, is 6,000 baht, and the apartments are studios with no kitchen, but fairly large rooms with a fridge and a tv.  The charges in addition to rent are internet (300 B), water (200 B), Electricity ( 400 to 1500 B), and laundry (500 B - optional).  So the total is around 7500 to 8000 baht assuming one limits the use of AC.  It is in an urban area (the Night Bazaar), so there is no need to own a car or even a motorcycle, as tuk-tuks and songtaos are plentiful.  There is a large selection of Thai restaurants in the neighborhood as well as some western style restaurants.  If one budgets 750 baht per day on everything except rent and utilities, the total to live comes to about 30,000 B or so per month.  One can live on 750 baht per day.  Granted, this assumes no wine, very few trips to Dukes, and a diet that is more Thai than western.  But it is done by many of those who live in the Night Bazaar area.  Those who rely exclusively on US Social Security to live have solved the problem of insufficient income by depositing 800K baht (US $25,000) in a Thai bank.

For those with a slightly higher budget, there is Doi Ping Mansion also in the Night Bazaar area with one and two bedroom condos and a kitchen for 10,000 to 15,000 baht (a few units are more than 15K) per month.  Both Chiang Mai Mansion and Doi Ping Mansion have a good group of expats in residence.

Over the years I have known many expats with incomes in the $1100 to $1400 per month range, and all have managed nicely.  I guess the point is that, yes, you can live cheaply in Thailand for about 1/3 the cost of the US, but only if you develop some Thai eating and living habits.  To live like you would in Cincinnati, it will cost about the same as it does in Cincinnati.

jimpike wrote:

Regarding Salsa's search for a place to live, a number of permanent expats have lived for upwards of 7 or 8 years in Chiang Mai Mansion.  The monthly rental, I think, is 6,000 baht, and the apartments are studios with no kitchen, but fairly large rooms with a fridge and a tv.  The charges in addition to rent are internet (300 B), water (200 B), Electricity ( 400 to 1500 B), and laundry (500 B - optional).  So the total is around 7500 to 8000 baht assuming one limits the use of AC.  It is in an urban area (the Night Bazaar), so there is no need to own a car or even a motorcycle, as tuk-tuks and songtaos are plentiful.  There is a large selection of Thai restaurants in the neighborhood as well as some western style restaurants.  If one budgets 750 baht per day on everything except rent and utilities, the total to live comes to about 30,000 B or so per month.  One can live on 750 baht per day.  Granted, this assumes no wine, very few trips to Dukes, and a diet that is more Thai than western.  But it is done by many of those who live in the Night Bazaar area.  Those who rely exclusively on US Social Security to live have solved the problem of insufficient income by depositing 800K baht (US $25,000) in a Thai bank.

For those with a slightly higher budget, there is Doi Ping Mansion also in the Night Bazaar area with one and two bedroom condos and a kitchen for 10,000 to 15,000 baht (a few units are more than 15K) per month.  Both Chiang Mai Mansion and Doi Ping Mansion have a good group of expats in residence.

Over the years I have known many expats with incomes in the $1100 to $1400 per month range, and all have managed nicely.  I guess the point is that, yes, you can live cheaply in Thailand for about 1/3 the cost of the US, but only if you develop some Thai eating and living habits.  To live like you would in Cincinnati, it will cost about the same as it does in Cincinnati.

Dear jimpike,
I agree with most of your post with a couple of exceptions. Currently USA Social Security benefits are based on ones mandatory contributions and if one contributed the maximum then ones current monthly benefit is just over $37,000/yr. At the current exchange rate that's over 90,000 Baht/ mon. So those that rely exclusively on SSA do not necessarily have to solve a problem of insufficient income by depositing 800k Baht in a Thai bank account since their monthly income may exceed the required 65k Baht/ mon.

I also think I disagree somewhat with your comparison of the cost of living in Thailand and the USA. A number of my friends would ,too.

I lived in the US in a metropolitan area of Ohio and before that Michigan.Maryland,DC,and both upstate and metro NY as well as a short time in Holland and I assure you that a very comfortable life with a wife and two school age children is much more affordable in Mae Rim,Chiang Mai. Even my children's tuition at Prem is significantly less then what I paid in the US. Living in our other home in Bkk is also less expensive.

We can live well on a low USD six figure income instead of a mid six figure income and eat better food, enjoy a better environment ,receive better service, and we can have many Thai and other nationalities for friendship which is something that is lacking in the "good" old US. So in a way we do live like Thais although not as well as many. We have to remember that just as in the west Thailand is not a homogeneous place. All economic classes are represented. We certainly are not stuck in Thailand for economic reasons and we desire nothing more then we already have. We love it here. Our family and friends live here.  We have homes in Thailand and on two other continents and we travel when school permits all over Thailand and Asia and take at least one trip to North America and Europe yearly.
Cheers and enjoy ,
drWilliam

Hi drWilliam,

Mae Rim has some lovely homes, and I have many friends in that area, and all have substantial incomes.  And I think it is wonderful that you are able to have a low six figure income for retirement.  I think that puts you in that upper three or four percent of all retired Americans.

I was more concerned about addressing those less fortunate.  My experience over the last eight years tells me that a large number of Americans who retire in Thailand have limited resources.  Perhaps you never see them, but there are many in the "inner city" of Chiang Mai that really have to live frugally, like having a studio or one bedroom apartment for US $250 to $450 per month.  You can pick any neighborhood, and there are literally hundreds of apartment buildings in Chiang Mai that fill that bill. 

But if someone on a limited budget continues to drink and dine and party like they did while they were still working in the States, they wind up spending almost as much here in Chiang Mai as they did in the States [unless of course they lived in NYC, SF, LA or one of the more expensive US cities].  You can live frugally in retirement in Cincinnati on US $2,500 or so per month, or you can easily spend that much in Chiang Mai unless you develop some Thai habits.

This entire notion may not apply to you or I or many other Americans who had fruitful careers, but it does apply to a substantial number of expats, many of whom are my good friends here in Chiang Mai.

Warmest regards,
Jim

As an interjection. I personally know DrWilliam. Speaking for myself, I don't believe that he meant any disrespect to any situation. This situation reminds me of a college class I had, and I mention it before. The class was the psychology of individual differences. There are times in which I see the dynamics of that class taking place on this forum, and it's refreshing to see it taking place. From a few external pieces this blog seems to have a reputation for giving to the reader. I believe that DrWilliam meant no harm and was simply supporting a concept.   

I follow this blog for the positive reasons - and am repulsed by any one individual that super imposes  his will or lack of flexibility to anybody. If you scroll back you will see that DrWilliam  has not been how shall I say, less cryptic. He is a good guy and his comments may not have come out as he really meant them to come out.  So be it.  I hope this helps all,  if it is not my place to do so.

jimpike wrote:

Hi drWilliam,

Mae Rim has some lovely homes, and I have many friends in that area, and all have substantial incomes.  And I think it is wonderful that you are able to have a low six figure income for retirement.  I think that puts you in that upper three or four percent of all retired Americans.

I was more concerned about addressing those less fortunate.  My experience over the last eight years tells me that a large number of Americans who retire in Thailand have limited resources.  Perhaps you never see them, but there are many in the "inner city" of Chiang Mai that really have to live frugally, like having a studio or one bedroom apartment for US $250 to $450 per month.  You can pick any neighborhood, and there are literally hundreds of apartment buildings in Chiang Mai that fill that bill. 

But if someone on a limited budget continues to drink and dine and party like they did while they were still working in the States, they wind up spending almost as much here in Chiang Mai as they did in the States [unless of course they lived in NYC, SF, LA or one of the more expensive US cities].  You can live frugally in retirement in Cincinnati on US $2,500 or so per month, or you can easily spend that much in Chiang Mai unless you develop some Thai habits.

This entire notion may not apply to you or I or many other Americans who had fruitful careers, but it does apply to a substantial number of expats, many of whom are my good friends here in Chiang Mai.

Warmest regards,
Jim

Sawadee Khrap Khun Jim,

I live in Huay Sai among Thai farmers,and working and middle class Thais in a reasonably comfortable home with a lot of trees,flowering vegetation,fruit,song birds,butterflies and in a similar home as many of my neighbors. No not in a McMansion or a moo baan enclave of westerners but among Thai people. We all know each other,look out for each other and live in peace. I live among the natives but have several good western friends a bit of a distance away.

I think you may have missed the point of what I was trying to say or else I didn't state my point the way I wanted to .  Simply that it is less expensive to live in Chiang Mai then it is to live in the west. We can live here no matter what our net worth more easily and more comfortably then in the USA ,western Eurozone or Japan because we can get better value for our monies.

One of my best friends lives entirely on SSA benefits. His last business was a total failure. Yet he lives in his own home and sends his daughter to private school. He has a full time maid. He eats both in and out ,drives a pickup truck and takes occassional holiday in Hua Hin. He lives very well. How can he do it ? Because he can live here less expensively then in the west. He knows how to budget well,is a responsible adult and is not an alcoholic. His biggest fear when he visits the US is not being allowed out to return to the Kingdom. Why ? Because he would be living in poverty. A life of snap benefits.

I know several in Chiang Mai who live comfortable lives on 30,000-40,000 Baht per month. They do not live in poverty at all. They live very well. All however have one thing in common. They are responsible adults. They live within their means.

On the flip side I know many Thais and several westerners who are quite wealthy and live really  comfortable lives and much more comfortable lives then they would in the west.

But it's really not about money. You can have a thousand Baht or a million Baht in your pocket. If you live irresponsibly above your means you will find poverty in both cases.

If one has to tell an adult with limited financial means not to party,wine and dine and drink too much then that person has more problems then limited financial means. I'm not sympathetic or empathetic. We controll our destiny. At least I like to think so. Some of my Thai friends who have more faith in fortune tellers then I would disagree with me on that one. They may be right. Who knows.

In summery ,I've lived on three continents and find northern Thailand and especially Chiang Mai with all of its resources and surrounding beauty,many temples,wonderful culture and peoples a blessing and I truly believe it's a bargain in more ways then one.

The Thai people are very welcoming,caring,concerned,polite and warm. I thought that almost fifty years a go and still do today. It's a lovely place to live. More then a bargain. Enjoy.

My best regards,
William

PS I enjoy your posts and reading your point of view. Tell your friend the good Thai habits. Even the one you see in that big Mercedes may be overextended.

PPS Have an enjoyable evening.

I think drWilliam's comments are fair statements if one is from his world, but his world is a far cry from the average American expat's world.  I think many have total retirement incomes in the range of US $1,500 to $3,000 per month, not the roughly $10,000+ per month that drWilliam apparently has.

jimpike wrote:

I think drWilliam's comments are fair statements if one is from his world, but his world is a far cry from the average American expat's world.  I think many have total retirement incomes in the range of US $1,500 to $3,000 per month, not the roughly $10,000+ per month that drWilliam apparently has.

Khun Jim,

Most human beings have the opportunity to find happiness in their journey through life what ever it may be. I avoid being envious. I could care less whether your net worth or anyone else's exceeded Bill Gates or was less then that of a Thai rice farmer. You and your world would be no different to me. The topic is " How Much to Live a Good Life in Thailand" meaning is the Kingdom affordable to live in or not.

May you enjoy your evening.

I wish you peace,happiness and prosperity.

William

Zeus.wmo wrote:

Dear Mr. Never done that & MisterStretch,

Never done that wrote:

Maybe first found out, What is " A Good Live",  I am pretty sure there is a lot of different view of it !!!!
As i write before wife and me use around 500.000 baht pr year. Around 16.000 $ pr year or 1.300 $ pr month. And i do think we have a Great live together.
We can easy cut down (if need to) 10.000 baht pr month. That 320 $, So yes, 2 people can live for 1.000 $ and live the good live, In my opinion.
And if i was single, Even more can be cut pr month.
We have use around the same numbers pr month over the years in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and now Bang Saen, So i think can be done many place in Thailand.
Kindly.

I'm trying to understand how people can live comfortably on $1,000 USD/mth = 31,000 THB/mth, but no one has explained how it can be done. Everyone is just stating it can be done. Would you be so kind as to better explain how you can live on 10,000 THB/mth as you stated above or how a person can live on $1,000 USD = 31,000 THB/mth? Do you pay for TruVision, AIS, electric, water, internet, visa renewals, rent or housing, vehicles, gas, car insurance, medical insurance, house insurance, etc.?

My grocery bill alone is about $75/wk or 9,000 THB/mth (I eat western food, my wife eats Thai food), TruVision is $1,000 - $1,500/mth depending on our plan, AIS for 2 phones is 600 THB/mth, electric bill is 3000 THB/mth (I don't skimp on the a/c), water is 500 THB/mth, we have free internet, 2BR high-rise condo in Phrom Phong is 30k THB/mth (we don't pay any house insurance since we are renting) and my US Aetna medical coverage is $293 USD/mth. These are just some of our expenses.. and as you can see it adds up pretty quickly... and doesn't include the cost of owning a vehicle; purchase price, maintenance, gas & insurance... and doesn't include other expenses such as; visa renewals, clothing, massages, haircuts, trips, etc. 

Kindly... Zeus

FYI ~ "C'est la vie", in Thailand :). Indeed, it can be done, quite easily & comfortably so; and especially when one quietly learns the Thai legal "rules of the road", and how to think...outside of the box. :cheers:

As I recall the average Thai income is $600 USD a month. They can have an average or comfortable life style at that level. Then again they know how not to pay Farang prices. If you have a Thai friend or such you will learn how to live well on less. For example, whenever you initiate any transaction have the Thai handle the transaction and you will enjoy the benefits. I moved a few months ago to a new house. My wifi provider wanted to charge me a transfer fee because I did not have a Thai name. My Thai friend, per my instructions, informed the provider that I could switch services instead of paying the Farang transfer fee. The company decided not to charge the Farang transfer fee. EVERYTHING is up to you and how you handle it.

Let's assume you are a retiree coming from the US and you're not going to live in some small town or village where you don't know anyone. Let's say you're going to live in a larger city like Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin or Chiang Mai, then your average monthly expenses could look like this: 15,000 THB for a nice 1 or 2 BR condo in good location so you can walk most places, 300 water, 1,500 electricity, 500 internet/Wi-Fi, 300 AIS mobile service, 1,000 for TruVision if you want to watch western channels, 9,000 food (using 300/day as avg. or roughly $300/mth.), 1,000 taxis (using 250/wk as avg.) unless you don't go anywhere ever and a few massages & haircut. These expenses add up to about 30,000 THB per month and doesn't include medical insurance, cost of purchasing & owning a scooter or vehicle, gas, car insurance, clothing, beer money, going to bars, entertainment, trips, etc. You could find a cheaper place to rent even in Bangkok, but it may be a very small unit in an undesirable location, so I used 15k for a half-way decent place that Westerners would be more accustomed.

Yearly visa expenses are: 1,900 for renewal, 3,800 for multiple re-entry permit if you are going to travel and $50 for notarized Income Affidavit. Keep in mind, you are required to have minimum of 65,000 THB in SS or pensionable income to qualify for a retirement visa or have 800,000 THB in a Thai bank account even if your monthly budget/expenses are only 31,000 THB.

So, if you live a fairly simple life and don't travel, don't take trips back to home country, don't spend money in bars or on nightlife or on other entertainment, don't eat out in restaurants, don't spend on a vehicle, then it looks like you can live (survive comfortably) on 31,000 THB or about $1,000 per month.

After awhile this debate is beyond discussion or repair. There are those who can live a good life and there are those who have to live a life relative to their ego. Who cares with this debate?

This my second trip to Thailand and has many , I have tried to see what sort of budget I would need .. this forum has been very helpful , but until I experience it here have truely seen what is reasonable budget ..
I've seen people say as little as 10000 a month to 31000 a month ..
I see Zeus saying 30000, but today I've been offered a 1 bedroom appartment fully furnished with cable tv , no extra expensive , for 7000 a month my Thai lady friend lives in the same building pays only 1500 a month for her utilities if I was to pay the  same that's about 8500 a month , that saves 6500 on accommodation , why have western Chanel's when I have cable and was watching all western movies , that saves 9000 a month , all up without looking at the other items mentioned is already 15500 saving , so 30000 now down to 15500 doesn't seem too bad right ?

As far as medical and cars or bikes and petrol and maintenance who doesn't pay that in their own country ?

I think depending where you live and how you do your search is how good a deal you can get ... I'm now in Chiang Mai .. but what I can see you can't compare prices from here to your own countries , it doesn't work ..

I pay 7000 a month rent and I receive 9000 a week from my townhouse ..

I paid 9676 for electricity a month here , what 1500 here ?

At the end of the day how can you compare cost of living .. you pay for what you want ...

I thought this was an essay question, not true/false, with right or wrong answers.  There are no good guys or bad guys and one can't claim the moral high ground simply because one has less.  There is nothing broken or beyond repair here.

It is really pretty simple.  You will live the lifestyle you can afford and you will rationalize that as being the “good life”.  Many people ended up where they are because they didn't know how to live within their means back home and they don't magically become financially responsible when they arrive in Thailand, with all its temptations.  Some survive here, some flourish, some fly home and some fly off balconies.  Only you can choose who you want to be.

This topic does point out why I keep most of my retired expat relationships online.  I don't appreciate discussions which focus on money and/or girls.  By sticking with knowledgeable married couples with adequate funds, good manners and good conversational skills you can avoid discussions of distasteful topics.  You don't have to worry that someone can't afford a particular restaurant or that they will show up with a hooker on their arm, rented just for the occasion.

To be comfortable here, find likeminded people to mingle with socially and learn self-reliance so you don't become the victim of someone else's greed.

Going dark again... this forum never changes. Enjoy whatever accommodations you can afford, be it 8k per month or 30k per month. If you can afford more it just means you earned and saved more for retirement.

The following post was meant for information purposes only for any new forum members thinking about moving to Thailand from the US. It was meant for the average middle income person in US as an example of what it may cost to live here and not for low income persons looking to live here as cheaply as possible. Its a shame you have to qualify every post. Now going dark...

Zeus.wmo wrote:

Let's assume you are a retiree coming from the US and you're not going to live in some small town or village where you don't know anyone. Let's say you're going to live in a larger city like Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin or Chiang Mai, then your average monthly expenses could look like this: 15,000 THB for a nice 1 or 2 BR condo in good location so you can walk most places, 300 water, 1,500 electricity, 500 internet/Wi-Fi, 300 AIS mobile service, 1,000 for TruVision if you want to watch western channels, 9,000 food (using 300/day as avg. or roughly $300/mth.), 1,000 taxis (using 250/wk as avg.) unless you don't go anywhere ever and a few massages & haircut. These expenses add up to about 30,000 THB per month and doesn't include medical insurance, cost of purchasing & owning a scooter or vehicle, gas, car insurance, clothing, beer money, going to bars, entertainment, trips, etc. You could find a cheaper place to rent even in Bangkok, but it may be a very small unit in an undesirable location, so I used 15k for a half-way decent place that Westerners would be more accustomed.

Yearly visa expenses are: 1,900 for renewal, 3,800 for multiple re-entry permit if you are going to travel and $50 for notarized Income Affidavit. Keep in mind, you are required to have minimum of 65,000 THB in SS or pensionable income to qualify for a retirement visa or have 800,000 THB in a Thai bank account even if your monthly budget/expenses are only 31,000 THB.

So, if you live a fairly simple life and don't travel, don't take trips back to home country, don't spend money in bars or on nightlife or on other entertainment, don't eat out in restaurants, don't spend on a vehicle, then it looks like you can live (survive comfortably) on 31,000 THB or about $1,000 per month.

I have been in Thailand now for over 3 years. I married a Thai woman and we rent a nice 3 bd 2 bath house in Pattaya's East End. Rent is cheap $15000 per month ( $466 per month. To enjoy ourselves we go to Pattaya shopping , eating and doing things we like, as  living in any city environment.  It doesn't cost much to this. We don't own a car because we don't need one. With that said, to enjoy our daily life, both eating in and out, doing local activities and going out two nights per week with my buddies, and putting 10000 baht per month away for emergencies, it cost us about 50000 baht per month to live our life. I still wish I had extra spending money.  So my answer is about $1550 US per month. Way cheaper than living in the States. Rent for the same house would be over $1000.

Thank you everyone for their comments.  All information and points of view are helpful.  I'm planning on retiring and moving to Bangkok in June 2019 and looking forward to my new life there.  Living in Los Angeles is very expensive so it seems to me that living in Thailand should not be a problem for me.

Tips;

Once you find a place try settling into a somewhat daily routine. This could help you to get closer to the Thai price. A friend went to a smoothie shop. His first visit was one price. The more he frequented the shop the lower the price became.

2. Find a Thai person, but be selective, and ask around for the good places or inexpensive places. For example they have 20 baht stores where you can get odds and ends for 20 baht, or more. You just have to be a little more careful when being in these shops. I bought a modest pitcher in one of the shops. I didn't notice that the rubber washer was missing and made a mess whenever pouring. None the less there are good shops that the locals know. Some find it great to go to expensive departments stores. I get a kick out of finding a Thai kind of Walmart.

Just a thought.

bill kip wrote:

Tips;

Once you find a place try settling into a somewhat daily routine. This could help you to get closer to the Thai price. A friend went to a smoothie shop. His first visit was one price. The more he frequented the shop the lower the price became.

2. Find a Thai person, but be selective, and ask around for the good places or inexpensive places. For example they have 20 baht stores where you can get odds and ends for 20 baht, or more. You just have to be a little more careful when being in these shops. I bought a modest pitcher in one of the shops. I didn't notice that the rubber washer was missing and made a mess whenever pouring. None the less there are good shops that the locals know. Some find it great to go to expensive departments stores. I get a kick out of finding a Thai kind of Walmart.

Just a thought.

A great contributed thought to the topic thread, indeed. Thanks :cheers:

Thailand is a Buddhist country. The Buddha taught an ethic of renunciation. So, in a sense, if you can renounce the consumer driven costs and culture of living in the west, and live in Thailand with a sense of restraint and non-consumerism, you can lively nicely for about $1000 US per month. 

To me, it's really less a money issue, and more of one having to do with what kind of headspace you're living in.  If you can try to think and live like a Thai, and see a more simple life as a perfectly good life, you won't need to worry about money.  However, if you're a slave to a consumer mentality, and need to eat in restaurants, and need to live a life with a lot of fancy accoutrements, you might struggle in Thailand on a limited SS income.  However, get your spending habits under control and you'll be fine.

It's not so much what's in your wallet, but what's in your head.

I often think too much is read into Thailand being a Buddhist nation.  Assuming that Thais are not materialistic because of some western understanding of Buddhism would be a mistake.  There is indeed a portion of the population which goes on retreats and listens to popular, often funny, monks but for most it is all about ritual and ceremony.  Even adherence to the five basic precepts of the religion are beyond most people in their daily lives.

Household debt in Thailand is very high with very few willing or able to live within their means.  I know some like to exalt the virtues of living in poverty and emulating the living habits of the Thai peasantry but it puts you in a more vulnerable position and leads to many of the things expats complain about.  Poor Thais live the way they do because they are poor and have few if any options, not because of some vast moral superiority.

Hi @ VillageFarang:

I agree with you for the most part, and perhaps I was only riffing on my perception of being in Thai communities where life is indeed more simple and far less costly.  I don't suggest that Thai's are "morally superior," but even a thin veneer of Buddhism has affected Thai behavior, I believe, in positive ways.

I speak only from my own perceptions.  I enjoy seeing Thais eating breakfasts from street food vendors for B 35, while farang tourists gorge on B 500 buffets at the hotels. I observe the "foodie culture" that develops in Chiang Mai with westerners, and see how carefully Thais shop in the markets for basic veggies and proteins.  My only sense with my comment is that if one wishes to be careful and frugal with spending, you'll be in good company in Thailand. You can eat well and clean in Thailand and feel connected with your neighbors. 

As for the Buddhist perspective, I do train and practice with some very good Thai monastics in Thailand; it's a big part of why I love Thailand, And yes, there are many devout Buddhists that do keep precepts and live a life consistent with Buddhist values.  Maybe not the majority of Thais, and maybe not the ones jamming the Maya Lifestyle malls, but there is a nice Buddhist influence and general Thai behavioral sensibility that I find very comfortable and appealing.

Cheers, and have a good weekend.

Michael

Thailand is a very diverse place and you can find almost anything you want if you just look.  Despite derogatory stereotypes of Thais, there are communities and pockets of Thais who are spiritual, athletic, artistic, musical, intellectual, adventurous, worldly and into all kinds of interesting things.  All you have to do is find them.  It sounds like you have found a community which suits your values and interests.

A round of applause to you, sir. :top:

The good life is being able to grab great spicy thai food from my freezer day or night.

We buy 2-3 kg of chicken from big c or other meat and we make monster sized penang, khao soi or if it's a night off thai I'll rustle up a 3 meat bolognese sauce and boil some pasta.
Been cooking Mexican lately too. Pretty good.

When I'm away from my family, rare occasion, touch wood. I will not enjoy myself and I will feel guilty about eating certain stuff. In London last year alone, I found myself eating cheese toasted sandwiches as I felt odd eating a nice meal or take out alone.

It's the same with people I know, 2 people suggested to meet up in se Asia this year but I just cannot do it.
The idea of voluntarily spending time away from my family never crosses my mind. It's hard enough doing a visa run but I'm there and back within 48 hours usually.

I used to love being on my own and spending cash unneccesaily but all these ideas are gone. I enjoy saving every single 20 & 50 baht I have for our sons future. The 50 baht was easy to do but the 20 baht is so frequent I save more than I spend but a 20 baht is really no use to me unless I look for a reason to spend it so it's better of saved.

Our budget is 45k a month as in cash out of an ATM in thailand and we lead a fairly simple life as a family. Of that 45k we save 20k which we allocate to different savings funds which I have the Mrs record into our accounting book.

Mrs loves to wear fitness clothes she's into fitness. Once a year we buy her clothes. All from UK in jan sale. Spent £270 on branded fitness stuff in jan. Savings on that spend was nearly £550.

I brought an iPhone for Mrs in jan too but it needs to be unlocked, round by us shops were quoting 4000 baht and 2 days to do it. It's a £20 1 hour job in uk. So only 6 more months to go and I'll get it unlocked in uk in 2019 lol.

I really do need to be getting a good deal, I do feel cheated if I pay over the odds. Recently in big c mainland extra mature 250g of cheese went up a staggering 34 baht. I just cannot stand the idea to pay over the odds, so cheese is off the menu until we find a good deal.

It's a boringly normal life but it feels very good I'm happy to report.

I knew Bill Kip personally and he actually did live on $1000USD per month in a fairly comfortable life style.

bill kip wrote:

In one respect Chiang Mai or Thailand is like anywhere in the world. You live relative to  your
means or comfort zone. If you live below the ! k USD level per month then one is going to have to make specific choices (or strain). But at 1 k USD a person can live a very comfortable life style. If you want to live in a villa in the mountains with acreage and two cars and spend $200 for shoes that will outlive you then you can do that. Of course like anywhere in the world one can step up to 2 k USD and one can live twice that life style in Thailand. I know of one Brit who spends about 3 k USD and is unhappy. Of course he only buys or eats western style which does drain his budget. It's always up to the individual and what they are comfortable with. Whatever level Thailand has a comfort level both on the social platform and the affordability platform.

Generally speaking the affordability factor is very attractive for those who can enjoy it. Being 50 helps one get a retirement visa which pacifies some immigration problems. 

Enjoy

You are using the past tense when referring to Bill.  Are you suggesting he has merely left this forum or has he shuffled off this mortal coil?

Please email or pm.

Your response tells me all I need to know.

I am nearing the end of my 3 month trip in Thailand. I came here with roughly $1,000, 33,000 baht, and I have around $121, 4,000 baht left. I managed to save my money by eating cheap food, taking cheap transportation, and staying in a cheap hostel before moving to an apartment in which I rented for 2 months north of Bangkok for 3500 baht/month. I also went to Kuala Lumpur for 4 days as a visa run. I don't think I would have been able to do survive off of my budget without the help of my girlfriend but none the less it is possible, just be smart and don't feel pressured to spend too much. My go to dinner costs me about .60 cents, 20 baht.

Very useful  and concise , thx

Thats been mean to youself 'soup is25 'icecream is 25 and a few changs 120 '25 left you can get a few smokes and you will be living very good'leeve a 5 bart tip 'thats 200 bart'in english money thats 5 pound 'if i was doing that it would last me a lifetime 'dont be tight and enjoy ' :)

@Gary stephens

honestly if u want to live and not just survive i think you need $30k a year. just my opinion and what it costs me.  lots of variables but i think its a fair number.

@Eastcoast steven

hello

i like to take trip myself ' i have no one” where would i go to be safe and Americans  near me. 75 years old,  disabled but i just use cane every none and then?