Parenting in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Being a parent can be challenging, and even more so when moving abroad, but it can also be an enriching experience. Tell us more below about your role as a parent in Mauritius.

How are you experiencing your parental role in your new home? Has your move abroad changed anything in your parental perspective or approach?

On a professional level, have you been able to balance your family life and career? How so? Tell us about the benefits that parents can enjoy in Mauritius, such as maternity leave, etc.?

How do you deal with being a parent as an expat, without the support of your extended family in the country?

Do you have any advice on how to introduce the culture in your new country to your children, while maintaining the traditions and customs of your home country?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Coming from Johannesburg South Africa to Mauritius has been so enlightening from a parents  perspective.
My daughter was 15 at the time so a hard age I made a huge effort to get to know the island so would get my daughter to do research on places she would like to see & so we explored had fun, embraced the island & it's people. So we focused on all the positive. My daughter has learned to catch a bus on her own go to the beach with friends  something you don't do in SA. We joined ex pat groups for support & have made amazing friends plus met wonderful  mauritian people!
So to sum it up I have watched my daughter blossom into a confident young lady on this beautiful island that has given us so much & we call home! There have been challenges but the positive definitely out weighs the negative so my advise is embrace the beautiful island it's culture & people half the battle is won!

Hi there, we will be relocating to Mauritius from Durban SA at the end of the year, however we will be there in June for some school interviews and to see some houses.  My question is, if we wanted to settle in the West, is it an hour journey to get my 13 year old daughter to Le Bocage International School in Moka?  Is this the only International school in MU besides the school in the north? 
Mandy thanks
Mandy

Hi everyone,

@ Mandy, have a look at this one : http://www.westcoast-schools.com/home.html

Hope it helps,
Bhavna

Thank you Bhavna for that link.  I emailed them previously and they said that they were full :-((
I'm going to email them again.  Thanks again.  Mandy