Cheaper to buy or bring with me to HCMC?

Dear All,

i am planning to move my household things like TV, DVD player, Microwave, kid toys  to HCMC.

i was wondering, buying a new one would be cheaper or the shipping fees would be cheaper enough?

or can we check-in the TV by plane?

kindly give me advise.

When I came over I checked in several boxes of books on the plane, simply because they were inherited and I couldn't put a monetary value on what they mean to me - I don't regret my decision but I did pay dearly for it. I am quite sure it will be much better for you to simply go out and purchase things like TV's, toys, and microwaves when you get here.

You shoud check it with your airlines, but mostly they don't give any insurance for electric items, and other had you can buy electric items in everywhere,  the price nothing much difference everywhere's.  You are moving to Vietnam not forever, so no need to choice the best items in the words.

Not so sure of Saigon, but here in Hanoi, (most) household
electrics can be cheaper (Chinese) but work very well, and
only the top brands dare ask for more.  Too competitive.

Same seems to apply for popular items ranging from toys
to furniture.  Naturally, 'Caveat Emptor' applies as usual...    :idontagree:

We? also have a highly transient expat population, (same
as Saigon)  so there are always heaps of high quality stuff
sold by last-minute lazys who forgot where they were, at
ridiculously low prices.   ..but I'm a cheapskate...                     :shy

The exception to the above advice might be if you are working for a multi-national corporation that will be underwriting both the cost and risk of shipping.

Dear Drutter,

thanks for the comment. will seriously sort of things to value it necessary.

Dear Collwing,

i will check with the airlines

Thank for advise

Bazza 1339,

i will take your advise

thanks

Almost all apartments I have seen for lease come furnished, and include a wall TV and microwave. Smaller than you are used to, that's ok, everything is.

Kid toys really? The ones they will out grow in two weeks? Hmm.

DVD player, and a box of DVDs? Oh man, you missed a couple generations! After DVDs there were MP3 players. Now media is streamed from internet, or your iPhone. Upload all your music and video to the cloud or at least memory sticks, and leave the DVDs too. You might want to upgrade your phone before you come, cheaper in the states. You know it has to be unlocked and out of contract.

I think a good philosophy when moving countries is to downsize and adapt, leave behind your supersize-me US world. You will miss a couple things, but forget about most of your flotsam and jetsam.

Search the forum for what to "bring" and "moving" and "banking", there are medicine and clothes  and electronics suggestions.

It's easy to mix up the flags here where they are small, but the OP is from Malaysia.  It's a pretty short hop so the ratios of purchase price and freight cost may differ quite a bit compared to the US.

Not really.    Vietnam has a name to live up to...

..especially when it comes from frightening freight...

(Without even mentioning D*L or F*D**PR**S)

Coffee money..?   Nah.  Those guys think big, Thig.     :o

Tv's and microwave are about the same price. Tablet and mobile seems to be more