Lao New Year 2018

As an expat how did you spend your time over the new year period.

Did you participate in the celebrations with family and friends.

Perhaps you were here as a tourist for the first time,so did you enjoy yourself.

Food, drink and enjoyment is top of the list for Lao people so did you participate.

For me,time with family is part of the enjoyment, along with taking part in the feasting and celebrations.

Somewhat belatedly noting that I spent it with my gf in Vang Vieng. She loves to be THE water thrower! The only bad time for me was when I wasn't feeling so great and got a coffee to perk me up, walked back to my gf with it, away from all throwers who respected me carrying my coffee, except for some young, drunk falangs. Stupid idiots!

Having been through more than my fair share of Lao New Years I make sure I am not there at that time now.

Have my wife's and our youngest daughter's birthday late March so celebrate those in preference to having water showered over me and having to drink copious amounts of Beer Lao with family over a prolonged period.  :D

It is something that the younger falang revels in but it does wear thin over time. Getting drunk, falling down and getting up to do it all again is not my cup of tea now.