Moving to Poland from Australia for work

Hi, I am considering moving to eastern europe for work purposes. The countries I'm looking at are Poland, Hungary or Czech Republic. I am a mechanical engineer (machinist and maintenance), and am curious to know if there are many jobs available and which cities are the manufacturing hubs. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find work where I live in Australia and have read in many places that Eastern Europe has a shortage of skilled professionals (tradesmen). I only know english with some german but if there many jobs available in a specific country I would be sure to learn the local language before I started applying.
Thanks!

It's hard to give specific city recommendation, but pretty much every major city in Poland would have some kind of medium of big size factories/companies. I would do my research for jobs in Warsaw, Krakow, Wroclaw, Poznan, Gdansk. Most of machinery type of business were located in Silesia region. Eastern part of Poland is mostly agricultural, with some exceptions like Lublin.

Please take a look at this website

https://www.careersinpoland.com/

This company is producing trains. Unfortunately their website is in Polish only

http://www.pesa.pl/

Good luck!

Hi Tipitoe,
Thanks for the reply. The Silesia region looks to be heavily industrialized, so I'll look there first. Failing that I will look into the other cities that you've mentioned.
The careersinpoland website looks to be helpful. Without being fluent in Polish, I'm probably going to be restricted to English speaking jobs.
Cheers!

This might be a long shot, but some companies may have a need for English speaking person even though they are not multi cultural. It really depends on what capacity they may need someone. Plus, in most cases people at managerial level can communicate in English.

Polish language is not easy, but in most cases people can learn it at minimal level within one year. I would strongly recommend for anyone who thinks about working in Poland to watch some native Polish speaking YT channels, movies, tv series. Also, listen to some polish radio stations. You have to get used to sound and pronunciation. We tend to speak fast and all words sort of blend together without pause. After a while you will be able to pick up individual words. Leave grammar for later, instead pay attention to what form of words are used at given situations. You may not understand why, but at least you will know what word to use. This is important, because Polish language is highly irregular. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for getting back to me. For the past few weeks I've been doing some online courses in Polish and I'm crawling along very slowly. The grammar and order of the words is really throwing me off eg 'chłopiec je jabłko' which a direct translation would be 'boy eats apple' but they're teaching it as 'the boy is eating an apple'. I have to say. when I learned German. it makes so much more sense to an English speaker! 'Der Junge isst den Apfel'.
I will see how I go. I've been told that po polsku is one of the hardest to learn.

There may be something to it as the declination and pronunciation is so complex, especially for non-slavic learners.... Good luck with your Polish! :)

It's hard to give someone good advice about how to learn foreign language. As you noticed a lot of things do not make sense in Polish language and if try to memorize all the proper forms of words you will eventually hinder your communication ability. What I have noticed through learning English is that on many occasions I can recall from my memory structures of words and apply them in correct context. That seems to be more effective than any other approach. Unfortunately it takes time to develop this memory.

Most of the Poles do not bother with grammar. We simply know that something sounds right or wrong, but this comes from years of training.

I was watching some interesting short documentary about a German guy who fixes roofs and he had to look for work in Poland. Every day he crosses border and works on some construction sites. He does not speak Polish at all. However, both parties can communicate. Some of the Polish workers speak German or English. Sometimes he has to draw or use his hands when he wants to explain something. Where is a will, there is a way :)

If try ABB THEY ARE IN ALEKSANDROW LODZ ARE

It should be: I'd try . Lodz area !)