Oh my god purchasing a car here is a nightmare

In the 3 attempts I have made to purchase a car here,  I have had three failures due to suspected attempts at fraud. That's  a 100% attempted fraud rate. Each story is somewhat unique, but the last included me engaging my own attorney (who I fully trust) and yet the outcome was the same. Is this what happens here and is there anyway to get around it? I'm looking for a maximum of a 10 year old car (preferably an SUV.. as i live in the mountains) and have a budget of about $8k.

Yes car buying is a challenge here.

First expect to pay 30%or more above KBB prices and that it new or used.

Second ALWAYS run the vehicle through car fax.  Many used vehicles either have bad titles (junk or salvage) back in the US and many currently will be "flood" cars from the recent hurricanes.

Always have a mechanic you trust to look at the car

Best buy may be from another expat who is either leaving or buying a new vehicle.

We have bought 1 new and 3 used vehicle here with some effort and all have worked out well.

Bob K

Thanks, Bob. You're advice will thoroughly followed. To all expats viewing, help! All offers appreciated.

I have bought several vehicles without issue always with carfax. I did catch a major fraud but they bought it anyway. Cost them a lot of extra money!

Is there a particlar, forum or Facebook group that expats regularly post their vehicles for sale?

Bob K wrote:

Best buy may be from another expat who is either leaving or buying a new vehicle.

Check at least on the north coast
FB  Everything Cabarete
FB  Everything Sosua
FB  Everything Puerto Plata
Also the bulletin board at Playero, and Pola

Bob K

Corrotos Google them. Also mercadolibre

Do you really need a private auto in the D.R.? Or is the public transport excellent like it is in Panama, Colombia, C.R. Ecuador, etc? Ive got 2 cars in Panama and its straightforward and more or less American prices.....and no issues with registration/liscensing.....

Depends where you live and what your needs are. I need one because of what I do here now. But, I lived several years in the capital without one!