Contract and Accommodation info

Hi  :)
I urgently need a bit of advice on Accommodation Allowance in Oman.
If I am living in the ‘Provided Accommodation' is my employer allowed to Deduct money out my salary for Rent ??
Appreciate your response

Hi,

Yes , of course if Employer is providing accommodation , employer is entitled to deduct part or full Housing allowance. And I think its everywhere like this.

Regards

Yes I understand that. They omit the entire housing allowance of 150. But then also deduct a further 150 rials.  My salary is 150 rials short of what its supposed to be.

Hi WorkerWoman,

Usually, companies would fix a limit on how much would be deducted from your salary towards your accommodation cost - obviously with prior consultation with you. This figure would be / should be mentioned clearly in your employment contract as well. Else, how much or how little to be deducted would forever remain ambiguous.

In your case, it seems like either it is an inadvertent error, which you can point out and resolve - if it is a genuine and inadvertent error; or it could be an intentional ploy by your employer to fleece you of your R.O. 150/-, in which case it sure is bad news.

If you suspect that it is the latter, then you should immediately initiate corrective measures. First, see what your employment contract specifies. You will get clarity.

Thankyou for your response it's greatly appreciated. As my understanding goes, employer must either Supply Accommodation or Supply the Allowance, but Not actually charge or deduct money for living inside their accommodation. I believe its a deliberate action taken by them to charge me.

Hi WorkerWoman,

Many companies that provide accommodation facilities to its employees. Such employers sign long-term lease agreements with the different property owners from whom they are leasing the accommodation.

Such companies obviously negotiate and strike a good bargain with the owners. Needless to say, the companies wouldn't want to pass on all the financial benefits to its empoyees and will try and make as much of additional income as they possibly can by giving it for a higher fixed monthly rent to its employees. This is common practice.