How to renew tourist visa?

Hi,
I'd like to move to Brazil for about 6 months. I would be on a tourist visa, so would have to renew it after 90 days. I've spent a couple years in Costa Rica on a tourist visa, and every 90 days I just have to cross the border out of CR and come back in (with an onward ticket every time) for another 90 day visa.

What is the procedure for renewing my tourist visa for a second 90 days in Brazil?

(I understand I can't go over 180 days in a given year, and I am definitely not interested in staying illegally.)

Thanks so much!

You will need to go to the federal police a few days before the initial 90 days expire and request it.

Jim

Thanks! That's it?

Will I need an onward ticket? Any other sort of documentation?

Also, are there federal police bureaus/stations in every major city?

As a US citizen, you are allowed to spend 180 of every 365 days in Brazil.  After that, you have to leave the country, and can only return after another 180 days pass:  no unending chain renewals.
Yes, there are Federal Police offices in all state capitals, all international airports,  and many of the more important interior cities.

thank you!

If you're in a city that has a Consulate, call them to see if you can make an appointment.  Usually you have to, but might be able to 'walk-in'.  Their hours are even less than banker's hours, so get everything
done before you go.  Nonetheless, they're pretty good at getting things done - I've taken care of a lot of Visa & travel issues with the Atlanta & Lagos, Nigeria consulate.  They both worked about the same, ironically, the Lagos consulate was a bit quicker.

That's probably the easiest & quickest way to start.