Visa Help

Hi All,

Myself and my wife are looking to move to Perth as soon as possible.

Can anyone give us some advice on visa appliations -- such as  visa companies, so many to choose from..

I think we're going for the skilled migration visa as I'm an electrical design engineer and my wife is a P.A.

Thanks very much!

Simon

Can any one help?

Welcome on Expat.com Simon ;)

I hope that other forumers will bring their input soon.

Regards

Hi Simon.
I used an online site called nationalvisas.com.au  they were very good. Cost $250 or around there but if they couldn't find a visa to come in on they refunded it which they did. I'm a kiwi living in oz on a SCV special catergory visa unprotected so wanted to apply for citizenship but was over 45 etc so no go. They will let u know within 2 days which is great.

Hi sparkysimon,

Have you checked out Australia's Immigration website?  Go to at immi.gov.au

Here is the direct link for more information about migration agents. http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/migration-agents/

Based on what I've read through this forum and other information in the Internet, it will cost more than $250. It's more like in a couple of thousand dollars depending who you choose. If you would like to save some money, you could apply on your own. Just check the website immi.gov.au for the detailed information. First time reviewing it maybe overwhelming at first, but after reviewing it some more, it will become clearer. The reason I know is because I applied on my own as an engineer as well.

Your first step is to have your skills assessed be Engineers Australia at engineersaustralia.org.au
Go to the link called Migration Skills Assessment. There are countries such as USA, United Kingdom, etc. that are under what is called The Washington Accord. This means the engineering education you obtained in the countries under this accord will be recognized. All I needed to do was sending the application, official transcript of my undergraduate engineering degree, resume, and payment for the assessment. It took about 3-4 weeks to assess my credentials since my country is under The Washington Accord. The letter would state if my engineering credentials are recognized in Australia. In this letter, there is a reference number provided that I entered in my application for the Independent Skilled Migration Visa 175.

Hi Simon,

I did my skilled migration application myself and choose not to go through an agent. I believe the Australian Department of Immigration website is one of the easiest around the world to browse and get information from. New immigration rules are enforced starting 1 July 2011, and they are tougher than current ones, even tougher rules are coming in on 1 July 2012, was just announced with the 2011/12 budget this month.

Australian Department of Immigration website: www.immi.gov.au

All you really need to do is read its so easy, read, read, read and then get your papers ready and apply. I am a Mechanical Engineer so I know you basically need 1 thing to apply, Engineers Australia to recognise your Engineering qualifications (need IELTS test to improve your chances if you're from an English-speaking country, compulsory if you're form a non English speaking country!).

A good place to start is by looking at 175 visa (176 if you have direct relatives who are Australian residents willing to sponsor you)

Email me if you need any more help..

Good luck,

Hi Simon

why don't you just contact the embassy in London? They will point you in the right direction. If you use a middle man you just open yourself up for mistakes and great expense. Its a pain in the bum to do it yourself but well worth it as then YOU have the knowledge you were going to pay someone else for! Easy peasy lemon squeezy - give them a bell and they will steer you right.

Good luck

Regards, Claire (born in Perth WA!)