Considering a Move to Seoul Korea in two months.

Hello I am considering an expat post in Seoul. South Korea with my company for two years. I have so many questions but most important or most pressing is where to live.  My company offices are located Hangangdae-ro
Yongsan-gu
140-821 Seoul.
I would prefer walking distance to and from work. But I don't know if the area is too expensive were it's all my rental allowance. I welcome recommendations.
Thank you
P.s. I have never been to South Korea

Hi Hterso,

If you are looking for an accommodation, i invite you to post an ad in the Housing in Seoul section.

Good luck,
Christine

Thank you. I need help in which area to look for. An apartment  My work is located Yogsan-gu I would to live a walking distance to my office

Hi Hterso,

Yongsan, the place where your company located is a nice place to live as center of Seoul but could be expensive depening on your choice.
I believe the company provides the allowance up to the size of your family etc? There are many residences and apartments around there, I am sure you can compare many places.

Hi Hterso!

Not sure I'll be much help, but I thought I'd chime in anyways. Last year I lived in Seoul for a couple months and actually had expat friends who lived in Yongsan (Haebangcheon area) so I'd visit that area often. We often refer to it as the more relaxed side of Itaewon (what Koreans refer to as the "foreigner" neighborhood). Because it's such close proximity to Itaewon, Yongsan has a very foreigner-friendly atmosphere with a large variety of global cuisines/specialty restaurants.  I'm not 100% sure when it comes to pricing, or how it varies throughout the community. But no matter where you decide to settle in Korea, I highly suggest you look for a place closest to a subway station. It will be the most comfortable and safest bet for you. Almost everyone in Korea uses the Subway or Bus System to get around, so to live close to a subway station would be ideal.

Hello thank you so much for sharing your insight and observations of the area. I appreciate your time.
HAT😄

Thank you so much for your feedback and insight.
HAT😄

Hello,

So if you are moving there for your work then probably they will inform you of this, but most apartments require you to put down a large deposit when you move in. The minimum is usually $5,000. I believe some companies will provide this for you since it's a deposit that you get back when you move out, but it is important to note. Also usually the amount you put down for deposit will affect your monthly rent, larger deposit usually means lower monthly rent. It is possible to find apartments without this huge deposit but it's not that common.

Also the housing market moves really fast. I tried to look for an apartment a month ahead of time, and everyone told me that was silly. What I recommend is finding a real estate agent (bu-dong-san in korean) and they will take you to available apartments in your area and in your price range. Most of the time the apartments are available to move into right away for smaller buildings called villas, but occasionally you have to wait for someone to move out. If you are getting a nicer, high rise apartment, chances are you have to wait for someone to move out.

It should not be difficult to find living space withing walking or a short bus ride distance in the yonsan area! Plenty of housing all around in that area!

Hope this was helpful!