Tax on rental income.

Having had a few discussions on this forum as to whether vacation rental income is considered a way of earning money. This news maybe shed more light on that.
Holiday rental platforms will have to report to the Spanish tax office your details.
http://www.bennecke.com/post/holiday-re … m-october/

Goodbye holiday rental platforms that comply. What happened to data protection?.

The source of each EU countries Data Protection legislation is the EU General Data Protection Regulation; under this, national governments can require specific organisations to provide information; better known as ‘Systematic' data sharing'.  This already goes on with Governments requiring banks to disclose personal information to National tax authorities.

lucinda123 wrote:

Goodbye holiday rental platforms that comply. What happened to data protection?.

As far as I know, every EU country you have to inform the local tax office as it is a taxable income. This is really nothing new.

data protection????

lucinda123 wrote:

Well kiss good bye to any business you want. There are a few listed on that link but no doubt all of the platforms will be included in the law.
Whilst in reality know one wants to pay taxes if we do not then we would not have any public infrastructure, roads sanitation, airports, trains, hospitals and much more. It there for very important to pay taxes and it is illegal to evade taxes.
That is not me being righteous it is reality.

Has anyone told the Spanish about tax avoidance?.

In reality how can these holiday letting websites be made to disclose, they are all American.

In fact who regulates this website. Who tells them what they can and cannot do. Do they have to report all our details to the Spanish ministry of tital tattle?.

RibeiraSacra wrote:
lucinda123 wrote:

Well kiss good bye to any business you want. There are a few listed on that link but no doubt all of the platforms will be included in the law.
Whilst in reality know one wants to pay taxes if we do not then we would not have any public infrastructure, roads sanitation, airports, trains, hospitals and much more. It there for very important to pay taxes and it is illegal to evade taxes.
That is not me being righteous it is reality.

Look what happened in Greece?

Also to follow on with the OP......

Tax and Airbnb

RibeiraSacra wrote:

Having had a few discussions on this forum as to whether vacation rental income is considered a way of earning money. This news maybe shed more light on that.
Holiday rental platforms will have to report to the Spanish tax office your details.
http://www.bennecke.com/post/holiday-re … m-october/

I am at a loss to see how the info sheds any light  on what equates to EARNINGS as opposed to an income. 

I believe that for a person letting a property,  which is not part of a business, is obtaining an income, which like all other income is taxable.

If letting amounts to earning, in the sense that it amounts to work, it would mean anyone doing so would be required to register as working and pay all the contributions which that would entail.

I see rental income  as the same as investment income and thus in the same category as bank, building society,  NS & I, shares, bonds  etc.  Interest, which whilst taxable cannot be viewed as earned income as income from working in a job would be.

John there postings were about if the money "gained" from letting out rooms was taxable or not. Any money gained by rent,  is money coming into the "household" Earn/income/gain money. ∴ is taxable.

If you run an SL or if you run it as a person who is self employed means different add advantages. But that is for another thread.

lucinda. You argument fails to stand up.
Two wrongs do not make a right. Plus in Spain a lot of fiscal cases have been successfully concluded in courts. Yes some do seem to get away with it, that is because either the information was not suffect to finalise proceedings or there are friends in high places.

Add to the comment about Greece, Italy is the same position.