How to deal with stress when moving to the USA

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to the USA (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to the USA?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I migrated to USA sometime back in 2004 based on family based visa. I had my parents living in US back then, and now I am US citizen, so in that sense I am no longer the expat in USA.

Nevertheless, the issues one face remains the same. Migration is like a new birth with same family and friends! I left my secured director level job in India, sold my all assets including home, car etc and moved to USA with family. That was the biggest risk anybody could ever take after a professional career of 25 years. I moved to US without job. Fortunately, I got similar job with non-profit organization within 3 months. This is a miracle, as it happens rarely!

The one of the major challenges are American english! As I am from India, my pronunciations were quite different. One of the broad members of the non-profit organization told me once that "He could not understand me at all at the time of interview and still he understands me only 50% even after interacting with me for a few years". The organization realized this and provided me a personalized couching on American pronunciations by a english professor. This helped a lot, but as mature professional I had lot of challenges to change my pronunciations.

Other than that, I think my move with family was smooth. I got tremendous support from the non-profit organization both professionally and personally.

I can recommend to meet people, I used to go on couchsurfing to meet locals a lot. take long walks and explore the new place. maybe you also have a hobby and meet people who are interested in the same things.