How to deal with stress when moving to Kenya

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to Kenya (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to Kenya?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Try to understand the culture of the people of the place like for me while i was in Seattle WA i had to appreciate how much people love the Sea Hawks team there they follow it like a religion.

KEEP CALM, BLEND IN, AVOID WEARING AND CARRYING EXPENSIVE ITEMS THE FIRST 3 MONTHS, USE PAPERLESS CASH TRANSACTION METHODS, ENJOY THE OUTDOORS, BURGAIN FOR EVERY PURCHASE YOU MAKE.... LIVE LIFE N LET LIVE.

Kenya, Like any part of the world, has a good and bad, try always see the good in any thing you do or see, read very well from expats community media  like there and facebook, kenyan people in general warm welcome, kind peaceful people and struggle to live so don't panic at all. The 2 magic word is Asante (Thank you) and Karibu (Welcome) say it and every body will be impressed that you know Swahili.

Kenya has many green area, take taxi or walk to them and relax at all and enjoy the nature, or restaurant to eat many cuisine in this country.

Also Climbing is the best you can do here to relax and clear your mind as Longnut.

Smile Smile Smile. smile to the people in the street if you can't support them at least smile in their face.

Be away from Matatu (the bus) walk on your foot or use taxi as uber or taxify or Little to be safe.

Take care don't walk after the sun go down, in case if you are out use taxi.

Enjoy kenya, also the cost is very nice I never been there actually but many people like it.

Good luck and welcome to Kenya :)

Please Volunteer in schools or childrens Homes and you will get to-interact with people and get to know places as the staff will be honest to you. all the best.

you should not worry that much , Kenya is a very friendly country , you will enjoy lots of places in Nairobi , you can also start your trip or visit to go and see Naivasha it's only 2h driving from Nairobi
so keep calm and KARIBU to Kenya

<<Please Volunteer in schools or childrens Homes and you will get to-interact with people and get to know places as the staff will be honest to you. all the best.>>

But please bear in mind that doing voluntary work is not legal unless you have the correct type of permit, so possibly not the best advice for some!

hey
i love to volunteering...please whenever you have opportunities and need more hands
do not hesitate...am a call away
i feel its worth giving back to society.
rgds
rose

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details for your own security