How to deal with stress when moving to France

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to France (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to France?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello ,

Honestly France is one of the most difficult countries to adapt and be an expat. All the integration procedures are complicated and involve a lot of useless bureaucracy and running around from one institution to another (e.g. to get the carte vitale for your state health insurance).
Also to rent an apartment is a nightmare experience , I have a CDD contract in my first year and no owner would rent me an apartment despite the fact that I work for a famous company and have a good net income. I am still thinking if I stay or no after my one year contract expires at the end of the year.
I shared all my experience regarding adapting to France on my blog here.

Priscilla,

Before I go to France I made al connections by internet. I work with meditation and so I have not much stress. I know the country many years already. I know much exercises for to handle stress and I like to start a Skype-video groep for to share all the problems what you meet when you comes to France.
France use much paper-works for many different procedures.
I like to know what stress situations you or other people meet in daily life. I speak no France, but I try it when I meet the French people.
Let me hear what stress you meet and I can give you support when you want,

Evert

I shall read your letter again for to gives more detailed answer.

Constant Communication

I recently had a long chat with an estate agent about this subject. French law protects the tenant even when they don't pay rent. Therefore landlords are very careful about who they let to. Your lack of rental history in france puts you at a disadvantage.

The real estate agents are also the worse scums here (Marseille) , I have never seen such lazy arrogant bastards in other countries. They don't do nothing , and expect to get payed huge commissions. The agent that got me the flat just sent me the address on SMS and the number of the Tenant who lives there and told me to book my self a visit with him. He showed up 30' late only on the day  that I got the keys , after he got his commission he not even answer his phone , I had a broken boiler and no hot water for 3 days because he not reply to any text , email or telephone call. I asked for an English copy of the contract , said he will bring but he forgot ; I asked also to put both my name and my girlfriend on the rent contract and he confirmed that he will , and than he forgot. When I asked for a revised contract , he asked me 150 EUR to change the contract! Unbelievable some people in this country!

I have only dealt with estate agents in Montpellier. Moreover, I bought my own place. Because the estate agents manage many buildings, this is easy money for them. As for services, it makes a difference if it's a building with communal heating and hot water. Estate agents in the UK are not renowned for the quality of their service.

Hi Priscilla,
I live in Sweden with a Swedish resident permit and would like to apply for a work permit  to be in position to work in France. How can it be done

Stay in Sweden , is better life and better money there ;)