How to deal with stress when moving to Brazil

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to Brazil (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to Brazil?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The moving here part is not stressful. It's living here day to day. Traffic mostly stresses me. I have never seen so many rude and bad drivers. Another thing is waiting so long at clinics and phone stores.

The bureaucracy is someone difficult but my wife is good at handling it for me.

Jim

It hasn't been stressful to me. Rather, I found my peace in Brazil to be honest. I spent 10 years in US and did not like it there which is why I moved with my Brazilian wife to Brazil.  US just made life very depressing, lonely, boring and hard even though we had so many friends there. I think it was the worst mistake of my life to move there. Wasted a decade there.

Before moving, I have been to Brazil so many times that it was very easy to move. 

Bureaucracy has not been too difficult to deal with. They always help out when you don't know something and they show respect when talking which I find interesting too.

Driving is not stressful at all for me. In US, I dreaded leaving home or office during peak hours as traffic was horrendous. In my home country (India), driving without rules hasn't been stressful even.

Queues are due to people still not trusting online payments so they queue up to pay at Caixas. As soon as I moved, I setup the online banking and online payments so now I pay the bills with my smart phone and do not have to go to any queues.

I love the relaxed nature of Brazilians. I have never found such attitude elsewhere. In US, people were cold and full of fake smiles. So that's a huge relief. Brazilians are curious about me and my country. Never happened with Americans in my time in US.

Funny but only thing that made me stressed were the mosquitoes!!! I solved that problem by installing screens on windows and doors.

I have been lucky since I work remotely and have family here and haven't had to setup anything from scratch. Other expats' experiences would be different from mine.

I just wish the flights between India and Brazil were a little cheaper but that won't be a huge problem though.

It's been so long since Brazil seemed like a "foreign" country to me, that it's hard to even remember.  I speak fluent Portuguese, without an identifiable foreign accent, I've been coming here since I was in my 20s, and this is my second time living here.  So, the stress of this latest move, in itself, was practically nil.
There's a certain stress level connected specifically to living in Manaus, however.  While the city is big, diverse, charming, and fun, with (for me, anyway) delightful weather, living here is a lot like living on an island. 
Until (if ever!) the Federal Government reconstructs Highway BR-319, Manaus has no land connection to any other major city in Brazil.  Everything that isn't produced locally -- which includes most manufactured items, and a surprising amount of food -- comes by water from the South-Central part of the country.  One makes the kind of adjustments to life here that one makes on an island.  Fresh fish is abundant and delicious; meat, on the other hand, is generally frozen (or was for transport)  and comes in two flavors:  chicken or beef, with some turkeys around the holidays, and pork showing up at random intervals.  For both packaged foods and hard goods, you learn quickly that if you want it and it's on the store shelf now, you'd better buy it, because there's no necessary expectation that the same item will ever be re-stocked once it sells out.  That even goes for furniture, which is our current frustration. 
As stressors go, I get that this is pretty minor.  Certainly not enough to even consider leaving, looking out on the Rio Negro on a beautiful sunny afternoon.

Rule 1 for me. No Stress! Decision Made! It's On! and I am not liking the motor vehicle operators (yikes) the queues  are ridiculous and another thing the "red tape" and the time's I have heard "No" other than that Brazil has been good to me and glad I made the move. At the time the city I moved to was the 23rd Deadliest City in the World (lol) I feel safe in my Lil Barrio yet I do keep my eyes and mind on being the gringo....now I do miss quality mosquito repellant and proper fitting clothing....and when I leave Brasil it will be in a tiny Lil box (if it's not deemed "Hazoudous Waste"(smh) by the Airlines)(cremation), don't want any Amazonia bugs eating my corpse(kkk/lol)  I'm good with the decision to move here, yet the driving is a nightmare.....and the "red tape" should be yellow (kkk/lol) inscribed "proceed with caution". That's my story and take on Life In Brasil.....
I'm good....

It's been pretty stressful for me living here mostly because I couldn't make friends in the city I live in. I lived in Rio before and there it was much easier..

I've been here nearly a year now, each month gets easier but I still find it quite stressful. I moved from a big city full of things to do (Melbourne) to a tiny country town with absolutely NOTHING to do (Itapetininga) so most of the time I am just lonely and bored.
I used to get so stressed/upset about the queues in supermarkets, banks, doctors etc but in the end I had to make the decision to let it go - these things aren't going to change.
I guess we just have to try to adapt a bit more each day!

To answer the question, it might be helpful for me to give my backstory:

I moved to Brazil in January 2010 with two teenage boys after having about 6 job interviews, for which about 1/2 of the interviewers assured me that "we need and want someone exactly like you" (my knowledge, experience, training, etc. in the US and Germany and familiarity with Latin America).  I took the calculated risk that I would receive at least one job offer, and then--with US$ 10,368--moved to Brazil with my kids.  After moving here, renting an apartment, and waiting for employment decisions from the institutions I interviewed with, I was down to about US$ 5.000.  No job offer came.  Unable to even buy plane tickets for myself and kids back to the US, I just started working as a consultant in my area of expertise.  After a long, hard slog I'm earning a reasonably middle-class income here in Sao Paulo.

I can assure any foreigner who arrives in Brazil from the US or similar countries that the #1 source of stress in moving to Brazil is having enough money to survive.  So, the best way to avoid, and deal with, stress when moving to Brazil is to have enough money that paying for food, clothing, and shelter is not a significant issue.

Oh, I fully understand you about the lines in doctors, banks, etc. I still sometimes get angry with that but trying to accept this reality and don't get nervous..

You should see New York City!!!

Stresses about moving here .... I'm going to think about this one before really answering.

I know what you mean.  The need to just add that extra bit of inconvenience isn't so much to show who's boss.  It seems more like a behavior that's just in-grained & natural.

Anyway, FWIW, here's how I deal with the day-to-day annoyances of Brazil:  I recall my times working in Angola & Nigeria...Brazil is super-easy in comparison.  And it's kinda funny to see Brazilians get annoyed in those places.  When they get annoyed, you know you're in a more difficult place.

Try Lagos, Nigeria.  Or Luanda, Angola!   My US home is in Atlanta, where our traffic is bad, but it ain't B-A-D.  Everyone in the USA who complains about our inconveniences needs to be put into Sao Paulo, or Lagos, or Luanda for a week or two.  When they return to the USA, they'll wonder why we have so much space & convenience.

In my experience, it's the legal (probate) system that needs overhauling here in Brazil ... there shouold be time limites for probate to be settled.  ... another serious thing is, theft. The idea that a person can be robbed of jewelry and have to show a receipt (proof of their ownership) is ridiculous. Jewelry is usually a gift. When I give a gift, I sure am not going to include a receipt from the store.  Too many Brazilian laws are designed  to protect (and therefore encourage) theft and fraud.

I find Brazil to be extremely good ... at finding ways not to get things done. This is stressful. And it is not easy to adjust to ...  accept ... or to forget.

I agree with this idea about finding reasons not to do ... something:  Much of my consulting work involves helping companies comply with financial / tax reporting laws and regulations faster and cheaper.  I think it's fascinating that many managers simply decide they won't comply and a common reason is something like "we don't think the regulators or auditors will actually require compliance and we know of other companies that are not complying".  Para ingles ver ... .

@jtp_redson Hahaha, I am an American, born and raised (California) and I feel EXACTLY as you do. I live in SP. I LOVE this city! Thank you for sharing.

I deal with it with a good grill and cold beer. (just wish it would stop raining!)

Yes paying online eases my trips to the bank. Bank lines are a killer,

My Wife has a large family and her support system is good,

10/21/22 I deal with it with a good grill and cold beer. (just wish it would stop raining!)
-@Texanbrazil

Wasn't that long ago you were complaining about the drought, Tex. 🙃

This is a great topic for conversation. I plan a move with my wife to Campos do Jordao Brazil in the next couple of years. While i am trying to learn the language, it is just not coming easily to me. I hope to have much more familiarity when I move, but I expect my Brazilian wife will still have to do most of the talking. My main concern is transport of our pets, and finding a good liberal community of people in Campos. We will be coming from a very liberal and LGBTQ-accepting midwest city, and I expect to have a bit of difficulty in cultivating friendships there, although I don't expect that much overt hostility. Loving nature as I do, I expect I will mostly spend my time enjoying the natural world around Campos. I am eager to leave the midwest winters. Any thoughts about finding an accepting and kind group of people is much appreciated! PS, I really hate SP in all its largeness and messiness!

10/21/22 I deal with it with a good grill and cold beer. (just wish it would stop raining!)
-@Texanbrazil
Wasn't that long ago you were complaining about the drought, Tex. 🙃
-@abthree

Yes in 2020.

We could (not we really) walk across the river to AR or PY! That "LA Nina" really got things upside down

10/21/22 @sjpetzold.  How did you choose Campos do Jordão?  Is it your wife's hometown?

I have plans to move in April 2023. As the days get closer, the situation gets a little more “anxious” l guess l could say. Even though l have been to Brazil many times ( and lived there for 6 months) it's still a big deal. I just try and concentrate on the positives and figure out a strategy for the negatives.