Getting RFC and paying income tax in Mexico

I'm living in Mexico for a year (as a temporary resident), and I need to pay taxes on my income that I'm getting from outside Mexico.
I'm also going to buy an apartment in Mexico, and probably sell it a few years later.

So, I'm trying to register for the RFC number online. There is a question there: "¿Tiene fuente de ingresos en territorio nacional?", and I wonder what is the correct answer in my case?

And by the way, does anyone know a good tax advisor in Puerto Vallarta?

PS So, should I answer "No" and then change my tax status later, or just answer "Si" now (if it doesn't involve too much extra paperwork)?

n_dee wrote:

I'm living in Mexico for a year (as a temporary resident), and I need to pay taxes on my income that I'm getting from outside Mexico.
I'm also going to buy an apartment in Mexico, and probably sell it a few years later.

So, I'm trying to register for the RFC number online. There is a question there: "¿Tiene fuente de ingresos en territorio nacional?", and I wonder what is the correct answer in my case?

And by the way, does anyone know a good tax advisor in Puerto Vallarta?

If you do not get income from Mexico you do not pay taxes in Mexico. You say "income that I'm getting from outside Mexico"
Taxes would be from the outside of Mexico part. Like the U.S. income many of us receive.We pay taxes on that money to the U.S. not Mexico. If you buy Mexican property you might pay taxes there, but you say you are going to buy, not did buy so that is not an issue now.

travellight wrote:

Taxes would be from the outside of Mexico part. Like the U.S. income many of us receive.We pay taxes on that money to the U.S. not Mexico. If you buy Mexican property you might pay taxes there, but you say you are going to buy, not did buy so that is not an issue now.

Normally you pay the income tax in the country where you live. U.S. is an exclusion from the normal rules, because they tax their citizen no matter where they actually live.

n_dee wrote:
travellight wrote:

Normally you pay the income tax in the country where you live. U.S. is an exclusion from the normal rules, because they tax their citizen no matter where they actually live.

Hi, I am a Canadian and living fulltime in Mexico.

First, the US is not an exclusion but has a fiscal agreement with Mexico just like there is a fiscal agreement between Canada and Mexico to avoid double taxation and fiscal evasion.
So, since all my revenues are from Canadian sources they are taxed by Revenue Canada based on the fiscal agreement and I don't need to register with the RFC, this has been confirmed by the RFC ombusman.
But, if I would have revenues from Mexican sources then I would have to register with the RFC and file a tax return in Mexico for all worldwide income calculate the taxes to be paid globally but reduced by the amounts paid to Revenue Canada (converting the amount paid from $CND to $MXN).

So, you should verify if there is a fiscal agreement between Russia and Mexico, if not, you must register with the RFC and reply "yes" to the question.

Here are some sites on the subject of worldwide income
https://transferwise.com/us/blog/income-tax-in-mexicohttp://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/Mexico-I … nal-income

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

So, you should verify if there is a fiscal agreement between Russia and Mexico, if not, you must register with the RFC and reply "yes" to the question.

My income is not from Russia, actually. It's not taxed at the source, I already checked that.

mexicogc wrote:

Here are some sites on the subject of worldwide income
https://transferwise.com/us/blog/income-tax-in-mexicohttp://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/Mexico-I … nal-income

Thanks.

So where does it say de is from Russia ?

travellight wrote:

So where does it say de is from Russia ?

Hi, on its profile (Russian from Omsk, Russia), just like mine says Canadian from Quebec living in Mexico, yours says American from USA living in Mexico. Unless the info is incorrect, it is what it is

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

:/ So a Russian expat who says she is not Russian

travellight wrote:

Are you trolling?

n_dee wrote:
travellight wrote:

Are you trolling?

Nope, are you ?
You listed yourself as a Russian, then said You were not a Russian. Which is confusing. It's not relevant to us, but it seems very relevant to you.  We willingly help others, and we expect the same courtesy in return.

travellight wrote:

then said You were not a Russian

I didn't.  :/

n_dee wrote:
travellight wrote:

then said You were not a Russian

I didn't.  :/

Perhaps you just said your income was not from Russia.  ;)

travellight wrote:

Perhaps you just said your income was not from Russia.  ;)

Brilliant observation  :D