Do I REALLY need to buy a return ticket?

Hola !  Just came back from the travel agency, where I was told that it was mandatory for me to have a return ticket (to Mexico) even though I am permanently moving to Colombia next month. The plan was to buy a one way, use the tourist visa for 3 months during which time I will be finalizing the property purchase, opening a bank account, etc.,  and acquiring my permanente visa. The woman told me that customs in Mexico City would not allow me to board the plane to Colombia without a return ticket, even though I have NEVER shown the officers, here in Mexico or there in Colombia, any such thing in my previous travels.  I give the agent my immigration form, filled out top and bottom with dates and airline numbers and show my Mexican visa (living here 6 years) and passport. That's it. I have no clue how anyone would ever know that I purchased a one-way ticket in the first place.  I can put an arbitrary return date and flight number on the bottom half of the form but who checks this info for its validity? Don't people travel without knowing how long they will be staying exactly in one place and where they will be going afterward? Can someone clarify for me please? Thank you!

Dear Águila,

You're playing with fire.

You've already been warned what can happen in México City.  So do the right thing -- in this case meaning do what the travel agency told you is required.

As to how they would know whether a return trip as listed is real, who knows?  Don't get caught prevaricating in this era when security is constantly upgraded .. and cautious security teams are not always logical in the way they carry out a mission.

cccmedia

You do have an option to check with the airline .. and determine whether there is a workaround available.

For instance, a notarized statement by you that you are moving to Colombia and thus do not need a round trip ticket .. a recent bank statement showing you are more than solvent .. or a personal itinerary showing a possible bus trip to one of Colombia's neighboring countries. 

In the first case (demonstrating your move to Colombia), you might want to show your property-purchase document(s).

In line with the bus trip concept, you may be able to obtain a low cost bus ticket to the border purchased online from a bus company such as Andes Transit.

Although the travel agent told you a round-trip ticket would be necessary, it's likely that an onward travel ticket -- such as going by bus to a Colombian city near an international border -- would fulfill the requirement just as sufficiently.

cccmedia near the Colombia-Ecuador border, in Ipiales, Colombia

I was told by an airline employee that for all intents and purposes, the return trip is "free." That is, when you buy the round trip ticket, what you're paying for, in essence, is the trip out.

What had happened is that my sister-in-law and mother-in-law, both Colombian, had traveled from Mexico City, where my SIL now lives, to visit us in the US. When it was time for them to return, my SIL's passport was found to be invalid because Colombia had recently gone to a chip passport and had invalidated all passports that didn't have the new technology. The airline would not let her board and return to MEX and said the only place they could send her was to her country of origin.

I asked if they could just rewrite the  return ticket so that she could be put on a flight to BOG, since we had already paid for the fare. That's when the ticket agent said that, no, when you buy a rt fare, the return is, for all intents and purposes "free".

Anyway, all of that was just to explain that it probably doesn't make any difference whether you book one way or return.

CynthiaER wrote:

the ticket agent said (that) when you buy a round-trip fare, the return is, for all intents and purposes "free". ...

it probably doesn't make any difference whether you book one way or return.

That may be true for pricing on a particular airline, for instance AeroMexico, but is not true in all cases.

For instance, checking today at www.cheapoair.com .. a flight leaving one month from today on Interjet costs $228 round-trip, just $117 for the same flight one-way.

----

Flights in this post offered by Interjet originate in Mexico City, going to Bogotá, and are the lowest-priced flight(s) listed for one month from today (departure on May 3, 2018).  The round-trip pricing involves a return flight one week later (May 10).  All pricing in this post is in US dollars and includes taxes.

cccmedia

I know that when I moved from Spain to Colombia, I had to buy a return ticket, Colombia wouldn't let me in without it, but that was six years ago, things could have changed.
The problem you are going to have is that at this moment, none of the things you intend to complete whilst here, can be proved. The only other option, would be to apply for a Visa other than a tourist visa, to show it is your intention to stay, but even then, I would ask the airline first, before going to that expense.

Hey AguilaCondor

A reply for you from a fellow Canadian (originally from the west coast). I live in Armenia, Colombia. I have just last week successfully completed my 3 year pensionado visa application.

I came to Colombia from Cuba on a one way (only) ticket purchased online with Copa Airlines. I know, I know peeps will tell you that is risky. One of the many reasons I was attracted to visit Colombia was EXACTLY FOR SURE!!!! there were plenty of examples online about people who said they were not asked for a return ticket out of Colombia by Colombia Immigration upon arrival. So I chanced it and it was a breeze. It's pretty much the same for Nicaragua... lot's of online testimonies about not having to produce a return ticket out of Nicaragua. BUT you take a chance! The immigration officers in these countries can require it if they want. They just didn't ask in my case.

I have an American friend here in Armenia. Two weeks ago he had to leave Colombia to renew his 3 month tourist visa passport stamp for Colombia. He was delayed at the Bogota airport by immigration because he had overstayed his visa. They gave him a fine and let him fly on to Nicaragua. He returned to Bogota in 3 days. Now he had an outstanding overstay fine in Colombia! Did not matter. He had no return ticket. They just gave him another 3 month visa stamp and let him back in the country. He's been living in Colombia for several years now border hopping. And he's never been asked for a return ticket exiting the country upon arrival.

cccmedia has some good advice for backup if you are really worried. If you can find an online bus company and purchase a bus ticket across the Colombian border to a different country, that will probably work IF THEY ASK for a "return" ticket. But my testimony here is another to add to the many to show Colombia gets it and is very very foreigner friendly. I didn't have a return ticket. Didn't want one. And because this country is the BEST latin american country to retire to, Colombia now has another happy expat contributing long term to the local economy.

I will tell you that when I arrived in Colombia without a return ticket (Copa Airlines had no problem giving me the online ticket) I was ready to purchase a bus ticket out of the country no matter how much hassle it was upon arrival. That was my backup but you can try getting a bus ticket before you arrive. At the Nicaragua Costa Rica border you could purchase a $25 dollar bus ticket good for 1 year that slammed dunked the return ticket problem (in those countries). I thinking the savvy bus companies can help you here too as a back up.

Good luck and hope this helps a bit. We Canadians enjoy a warm welcome in Latin America.

Migraciones dont give a crap--the airlines do- Particularily Avianca, Copa and AeroMexico

If you are a Canadian on a Passport, they care more about the 200 mil "Reciprocation" fee, No way there are gonna send you back and lose that!

If you fly with connections within the US or Canada no problem. If you fly direct, better have a return ticket to show the buggers- iwithin 90 days-although I have convinced them to let me go through without one.

A trick is to book on expedia with your I phone and cancel within 24 hours. With Expedia no cancelation fee in 24 hours.

Also supposedly yoou have t have your yellow fever vacination sticker going into Colombia.

But I have never heard of that one being enforced. They would have to deny acess to nearly  all the passengers

The airlines will say tha about immigration- they really dont have a clue how immigration works with the tickets-it is just in their "system"

Here is the real deal.  Colombian law requires all travellers on a tourist visa to obtain a ongoing ticket.  It is the law here so if you want to visit comply with the law and you will have no worries.  Now one way to satisfy the requirement is to purchase an onward travel airline ticket just prior to your departure.  Then after check in cancel the ticket for a full refund.  Make sure you book with an airline that offers the free cancellation option within 24 hours.  Be careful though I booked on Avianca Colombia website once and it took 5 weeks to get my refund.

They never , ever ask you this in migraciones

Some airlines do, usually if you have a direct flight. If you have connecting flight, say Calgary-Houston- Pereira the wont ask you. A direct flight-say DF or Cancun, Bogota,- the airlines will try to put pressure on you to have a return ticket and say that Migraciones will stop you from entering (they wont).

Still beter to buy and cancel a ticket.

As far as following the "Law" what a naive joke. AS if Colombians follow the laws. Most expats dont have a clue how many "Laws" they are breaking living day to day in Colombia.

As any Colombian lawyer wil ltell you, in Colombia, the "law" as written and practiced are 2 differen t things,

I appreciate everyone's reply and followed my intuition from all the info gathered. I already bought a one-way through AeroMexico, with my dog, so it had to be booked directly through the airline via phone (she never said a word about return necessity) and due to the fact that no one at immigration, in all of my travels have ever asked for proof of a return ticket, I'm not going to worry about it. I have my property purchase documents in hand to show them if a problem does surface. I am hoping for the best.

Hello fellow Canadian CanadaDoug! Thank you for the time you took to reply and I am on the same page as you are. I didn't end up buying a return ticket either, regardless of what the travel agent said.  I can't foresee any problem arising at airport customs that can't be resolved and I seriously doubt that any will occur, even though "IT'S THE LAW".  Someone else spoke about THE LAW and I also agree with him that it's shady at best.
Having lived 6 years in Mexico, I have gotten to know many u.s. citizens that also border hop, only wishing to be here on tourist visas. They have been here for years as well. I opted to get my permanente, which I now have (but will no longer need...leaving next Monday!! woohoo!!!). It's a matter of personal wishes and preferences for whatever reasons. As long as you don't let the visas expire, staying within what the law dictates, everything is usually just dandy. As you mentioned, worse case scenario, you pay a fine for your tardiness and re-enter the country with a renewed one. I would never let it come to that in the first place.
If you are ever in the Sopetrán/Santa Fe de Antioquia area, come by for a visit!

Aguila Condor

Despite my previous post I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you purchase a ticket on Expedia then cancel the next day within 24 hours-they refund your money.Could be to Panama or wherever cheapest flight is. They will charge your CC than reimburse you later. I have cancelled tickets several times with them and they live up to their word.

A couple times, when I was without a visa, I purchased return  tickets on line from Pereira- Panama with COPA and Cancun-Bogota with Avianca

They never give you this type of information when you purchase online. Like they never tell you that you need proof of  yellow fever vaccine to go to Colombia (but the haven't started checking this when people board, otherwise half the Colombian tourists would find themselves stranded outside the country LOL)

In both cases , when I was at the counter to get my boarding pass on return to Colombia they asked for a return ticket within 3 months at the check-in counter.

In the first case with COPA, I happened to have a return ticket I showed them. In the second case, I had a return ticket  , but it was past the 90 day  passport  stamp expiry date. I told them my Visa was in process (the truth). After much negotiation, she talked to her boss and said that they would let me go, bu would not take any responsibility if migraciones tuned me back- which she was "sure" they would-LOL ( Little did she know-pretty clueless).

No way they are going to refuse a Canadian entry and miss the 200 mil reciprocation fee at migraciones.

Still, I have heard that AeroMexico is asking for the return ticket as well.

I highly recommend you purchase and cancel a return ticket, to prevent any possible issues with AeroMexico

Looks like its too late now.

Be interesting to see what happened...

I dont have to worry about this crap anymore because i now have a 3 year visa

Hey AguilaCondor

I was a little edgy coming here without a return ticket but I went for it because of all the travelers who said they weren't asked. I breezed thru customs no prob. My guess on this is that they ain't stupid. Us retirees don't cause problems and help the local economy. Everybody wins.
I'm on a pension, I've done my life's work and raised my family and now I want to relax and enjoy the eye candy. I don't want to be pressed into leaving the country at any set time and that's one of the reasons WHY i came to Colombia. They don't usually ask you for a return ticket.
Because the Colombian government was very welcoming to me I have successfully applied for my Immigrant visa (3 years), carry a Colombian cedula, and have an apartment in Armenia for 228 dollars a month including my gas for cooking. The apartment is new...all appliances are new. I am turned out to pasture and have the Colombian government to thank for much success in my retirement. I have 3 years (maybe more) to explore this beautiful and diverse country.
There will be a lot here who caution you about Colombian problems with bandidos. That seems to be the mantra. Cocaine has really damaged this country. But it is much much safer than Mexico. I would not go to Mexico on a bet. Your problem here is avoiding injury and death from motorcycles and cars (somewhat). Its carnage here because there is no enforcement. Be diligent when walking. Very diligent.
Have fun and enjoy Colombia like I do. Keep in touch and let us know what happened at the airport?

Hey Quechimba
Thanks for the reality check about Colombia laws and enforcement . AguilaCondor has purchased property in Colombia and wants to live here. She does not want to spend money on a return ticket. I think smart government representatives and smart governments don't cause problems where there are none. We Canadians help the local economy and we don't cause problems usually. You can't get a passport in Canada when you have a criminal record. You don't travel unless you have money to spend. If we are retired all the more reason to invite us in.
AguilaCondor can do the same thing as I have done. Apply for her 3 year immigrant cedula. Another example of a reasonable government changing the process from a pain in the ass 1 year visa to a better 3 year visa.
That has been my experience here in Colombia so far. Everybody is reasonable. Except the motorcycle drivers that beep at me when I am in a legal crosswalk...jajajajajajaja
Bottom line....... laws enforced or not......be nice.

And Nice to meet you

Holá Everyone,

There are a lot of people saying that their Backup Plan if they are asked for an Onward Ticket at the time of boarding their flight to Colombia is to buy a Ticket from American Web Sites such as Expedia.COM and Travelocity.COM (using their Smart Phones) because they have a Free 24 Hours Cancellation Policy.

Note: The Canadian versions of those Web Sites do not appear to have such policy.

Therefore the trick is to buy a ticket to get your Boarding Pass and then cancel the said ticket when you have reached your gate.

I never tried it myself but I do not see why it wouldn't work!

OK, kind people, now I have another question that doesn't have anything to do with the previous post... if any of you brought household items packed in boxes into the country via air cargo (I have about 80 boxes going by plane next week), I know customs opens every single one but do they actually remove all the contents to inspect them as well?

Yes.  Well, probably.  Colombia is not known for consistency.

For at least two reasons: 

DIAN (Dirección de Impuestos y Aduanas Nacionales) will want to tax as much as they can, and not allow freely into the country items that duty must be paid on, so they want to know the contents.

They want to identify and prohibit banned items from outside, for instance cell phones.  This also requires looking at everything.

Also you may bring in only a certain number of each permitted item as detailed in section 3 of this PDF:

https://www.cancilleria.gov.co/sites/de … estico.pdf

Here is a guide which although it's meant for returning nationals, gives an idea of what goes on.  They allow their citizens more leeway than foreigners so be prepared for delay, paperwork and hassle.

http://colombianoslejos.blogspot.com/20 … acion.html

I flew out of Armenia, Quindío, twice .. and both times, they removed and inspected everything in a medium-size inspection room.

At busier airports in Colombia, it's less likely .. but still posible they will do a thorough inspection, especially if you inadvertently give them a reason.

At Colombia's biggest airport, don't be surprised if one of the many German shepherd security-dogs approaches you and gives your luggage the sniff test.

cccmedia in Depto de Nariño

Canada doug..dont think they are "smart" after all they are government employees ja ja

Just too lazy and not worth their time to.implement all the wierd government laws.

Too busy watchong the Real Madrid game online or planning the next triste with their mosa..

Thats the reason for the 3 year visa..less work for the Government Employees..see the Union complained.

Ever been stopped by DIAN coming through? I havent and have passefmd through abouy a hundred times

Nevercome thriugh with 89 boxes thoigh LOL

The customs forms just say if you are bringing in more than $10000

Colombians aee always bringing in a lot of phones and stuff for resale and dont think it is ilegal...and to be honest it doesnt say anything on the customs form only $10000 limit

Unless you are bringing in "excess" baggage who is gonna go on the DIAN site and search out specific details.Only one who would know is a lawyer specialized in that

Or a paranoid gringo.or other expat.

Cellphone imports have been banned for nearly 2 years and if you do come in with a model which is not on sale in Colombia you will not be able to register or enable it.

your right

But there are allways ways around it..and all the Colombians who do it know it

And then there are computers and tablets

If it were so hard to get around the enabling process, nobody would be stealing cell phones like they do

The cell phones being stolen on the streets are already registered and enabled...

Here's a recent article in El País explaining the problem in Cali, 25 cell phones stolen per day on average, explaining that the crooks alter the IMEI identification:

http://www.elpais.com.co/contenido-prem … regua.html

Hey Quechimba

I was a government employee in Canada jajajajajajajaja
And don't knock the football. I use my computer skills to watch the NHL Hockey playoffs broadcast live on Canada TV here in Armenia on my nice new 49 inch screen. AND!! heheheh I have access to Russia TV to watch the World Cup next month.
Some of the customs people em gotta be smart and reasonable. From personal experience over the years the boss always influences the workers somewhat when they "stray" from his or her philosophy.

Hey AguilaCondor
What happened when you arrived in Colombia? Fill us in?

Hi! Don't have internet at the finca, so will answer briefly. NOTHING HAPPENED!! I flew aeromexico to Mexico city/Medellín and my husband (at a later date) via Cancún/Panama/Medellín and no one cared or questioned anything. We put 90 days on the Colombian immigration forms for the length of our stay and that's it... Easy peasy. I don't even recall a place to put a salida on the form. Saludos cordiales!!

Past performance is not predictive of future results.

Due to my ignorance, why did you choose to purchase your property in Colombia versus Mexico?

dcasanares wrote:

Due to my ignorance, why did you choose to purchase your property in Colombia versus Mexico?

Not sure to whom the above question is posed, so I'll pick up the ball.

----

I own a condo apartment in Quito, Ecuador -- nothing in Colombia or Mexico -- and I don't plan to ever buy property in Colombia.

If one owns property in Colombia, depending on the latest Reforma Tributaría in effect at any given time .. the Expat may be legally required to file a Colombia tax return year after year after year.  Even if you don't get income from the property.  Even if you weren't in Colombia at any time during a given year.

Purchase of property in Colombia violates the "low-profile" concept and invites way too much DIAN scrutiny.

My educated guess is that among those Expats who are likely to get the most scrutiny from La DIAN are those who file a tax return .. those who don't file but have been in-country at a known address for years .. those residents suspected of having large incomes from other countries .. those thought to be in Colombia illegally such as a visa overstay .. those who have committed serious non-tax offenses in Colombia which come to the attention of La DIAN .. Bogotá and Medellín residents with high-value owned residences .. and those who fail to meet the obligation to obtain a cédula ID within six months of receiving a visa.

cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

Posters, please note that this is the return-ticket thread.

Please post questions and comments about property-purchase and tax matters on appropriate threads.  There are currently-active thread(s) concerning taxes on this forum.

As to why I posted a lengthy response to the question about Colombia vs. Mexico property purchase:  mea culpa.

cccmedia

Especially when  past  performance is different  for different people on different airlines  (sometimes on tve same Airlines with different people  or the same people)  at different times.

Too.many variables to take chances.

Only thing  consistent  is migraciones NEVER ask for a return ticket.

Not that I have to worry about that since I now have a 3 year visa.

dcasanares wrote:

Hi DC
We lived in mexico 6 years, were and still are property owners there. We chose Colombia to live because we love it here, more, and found a marvelous finca to buy. Pretty much a longer story in a nutshell.

Hey AguilaCondor
Welcome to Colombia. Now that you have arrived yaaayyy here are some more thoughts for you based on my experiences. You can apply for another 3 months extension to your 3 month tourist visa. After a 6 month stay on a tourist visa in Colombia you have to leave and cannot come back until the following year! Be careful! The "timing" of visa applications in Colombia is critical. Lots of hoops to jump thru and my pensionado type immigrant 3 year visa application was new for everybody including the Colombian who helped me. I found that 6 months was time enough to make solid plans about what I was going to do next.....like getting advice about options on this forum.
I successfully applied for a 3 year pensioner visa because of my age. There are other visas (I am not savvy about) if you are too young hahahahaha.
Good luck and enjoy.
Doug