Why So Much German in the DR?

To my German friends, I had the oddest experience on my way to Cotui from Santo Domingo, DR. I wonder  if anyone can help me understand it? I got a little lost in a town called Maimon. So I sought directions from a local standing outside a thriving bar where a large crowd was gathered. My Spanish is near non existent so I asked if anyone spoke English. Next came an almost chorus of disgust toward my handicapped language ability. Up steps a young lady who basically sucks her teeth and says in broken English "you no speak Spanish or German too bad". I said ...ja kann Ich deutsch...(yes I can speak German).."ahhhhh" ...big smile..
. Everything was beautiful after that. She gave me flawless directions in German...Searching for an answer to this Dominican puzzle.

That is a misleading experience. There is not a lot of German here, there are pockets of German speakers of course.

I see! I thought it might have something to do with tourism? Or maybe I was just hoping that...lol

Its all about tourism and a few expats who choose to live here in retirement or semi retirement.  I know there are pockets on the north coast of Germans, Italians, French etc etc.  Larger groups of Americans and Canadians!

My experience in Punta Cana was I ran into two property management companies that were run by German and also to realtors that I worked with are German, but that could just be the packet that you're talking about.

Thank you, Kat. I still believe that it has something to do with tourism. I stayed in a wonderful b&b the night that I proposed to my fiancée. I think it was called Jarabacoa Mountain Hostal. It was filled to the brim with German tourists. This would be fantastic for me as I speak German.

Of course it has lots to do with Tourism, that is why the come here in the first place......LOL

Yes, planner, you're right.  I just think a significantly larger proportions of Germans are coming as tourists on a per capita basis compared with the Bahamas in which I'm familiar.

Got it,  well we have a lot mroe flights from Europe for sure.

Plenty of French, Italians, Russians,Brits, Canadians & Colombians. Cental & South Americans.  The DR has been discovered by the world it seems. Haitians enter here by the hundreds of thousands.   Your potential market is indeed world wide. There is no limit to the potential. I wish you well.  Damn, I'm getting thirsty thinking about it.  R/C, sin limon !