ESL center question: Universities, Public Schools or English Centers?

Hello, I'm considering a move to HCM this summer and I'm doing research.

1 I hold a BA, TEFL, some ESL experience, 13 years professional work history.
2 Visited Vietnam several times, a total of about 9 weeks there (laughable to some of yous).

I've interviewed with more than 40 different schools in China and I've turned them down for one reason or another. I do get the impression that these training centers come with alot of headaches, given that it's private you are at the mercy of the parents who always have complaints. It's not an experience I'm looking for.

Does anyone have experience working in different types of centers in Vietnam? Pros and Cons? Any information would be most grateful.

It's all crap compared to china frankly.

Even more flimsy,  flaky,  deceitful and cheap.  Just a dancing monkey for peanuts show

Expect 20 dollars an hour or abouts

Have thick skin

Dirt cheap to live here

Can survive on only 10 hours a week

"yous"?

Aidan in HCMC wrote:

"yous"?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti … glish/yous

Aidan in HCMC wrote:

"yous"?

"Yous" is a perfectly acceptable word in New Yorkese but it must be followed by the word "guys."  ex:  What're yous guys doing hea?

Its not all bad. I have started private tutoring Vietnamese 12 adults at a very good rate.
I got this through networking, someone who knew someone, who knew someone etc.

There are many flaky, flimsy language center jobs as someone has said here but there are also lots of very good schools and language centers. I for one love Vietnam and I'm sure you'll find a job that ticks most if not all of the boxes.

its best to aim for big name English Center in the Area. Work there for a few months. If you like it then stay, if not, you will have a very good reference point for whatever comes next. Even private tutoring can pay well.

Depends on the school!

Find a highschool outside of the city centre. These schools sometimes have enough money to fund a program with a foreign teacher and often do not have any requirements or any curriculum that you need to follow. This might sound like a bad thing. For someone who doesn't give a flying something, it is. If you turned down a bunch of schools, I can assume you have standards. If you do, you can create a really useful program from the void that many of these schools leave and build something that is genuinely useful for students.

Or you could teach at a small English centre. Be very picky. Many centres are crap. There are a select few that actually  are decent. I teach at one in Trang Bang, Tay Ninh (outside of Saigon by eh... 30kms, haha). This centre has its flaws, but is a centre with owners that care, have some level of educational sanity and provide me with a reasonable wage.

That's my advice. Stay away from VUS. It pays well but I have hear you have to give up your soul. I have no idea about that, second-hand knowledge. But in general I tend to think large English centres are a bit on the shoddy-side.