Need some advice.

Hi all, I have a question. Hope you guys can advice me. Im currently doing a very tiny weeny small business with a British Chinese who is living in HCMC. As my job in Singapore is not so good, he advises me to go HCMC to work. He told me to come to HCMC 1st, and then find a job. I won't starve to death as I'm a foreigner. There are loads of normal jobs. After my a** is warmed up, then I can move on to find more opportunities.

Do you reckon this is feasible? I have the urge to go there but I'm afraid that I might fail.

Cheers...

Hi lostsouls :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

lostsouls wrote:

Do you reckon this is feasible? I have the urge to go there but I'm afraid that I might fail.
Cheers...

Of course its feasible, but thats not to say it will be easy.

We're all afraid of failure, but without taking any risks life would be very dull. Look at your options and figure out if you can do it, if you believe you can then go for it :-)

What the worst that can happen ? You fail and go home... ? then you have lost nothing but gained an experience :-)

laidbackfreak wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Cheers...

Of course its feasible, but thats not to say it will be easy.

We're all afraid of failure, but without taking any risks life would be very dull. Look at your options and figure out if you can do it, if you believe you can then go for it :-)

What the worst that can happen ? You fail and go home... ? then you have lost nothing but gained an experience :-)

Hi, bro. Thanks for your reply. I know it isn't easy for the 1st few months if I'm there. The main obstacle is my family here. My wife & mother may not let me go there. But I would want to strike it out. My current job is stagnant & even if I switch jobs, it isn't any difference in terms of salary wise. So I'm thinking why not take a gamble.

2nd obstacle is what job to look for. I have very few friends in HCMC but my British Chinese friend of mine will be able to help me out. He suggested me to teach English. I don't boast that my English is superb, but I'm able to teach. I don't have a TEFL cert though.

1st things 1st, persuade my family to let me go there carve a career, rather than staying in my country stagnant for all my life with no future.

Don't underestimate the importance of family. As long as you can get there support it will be good.

Teaching here is interesting, no doubt you have read the threads already and having been here hopefully will have seen some of the changes that have occurred over the last year or so. You must have a degree to work in the main schools, without that you will struggle.

Good luck :)

laidbackfreak wrote:

Don't underestimate the importance of family. As long as you can get there support it will be good.

Teaching here is interesting, no doubt you have read the threads already and having been here hopefully will have seen some of the changes that have occurred over the last year or so. You must have a degree to work in the main schools, without that you will struggle.

Good luck :)

I agree. With family support, any hardship is not a problem.

Well, teaching is 1 of my options but it's becoming very competitive. So I might branch out to other fields.

As a matter of fact, I only have a Diploma in IT, which is nothing spectacular.

Thanks for your support.:)

Lee,

Nothing is easy and no risk, no return. I totally support you come to HCMC to look for a job if your current is stagnant.

While taking time to persuade your family and clear all the sh** stuffs with current job, you may proactively search some opportunities and accomodation in HCMC in advance. You would be only given 3 months before granting with official work permit, in case some company finds interest on you. Then be prepared to struggle with life for short period.

Accmodation is worth to take into account in advance. Search for a competive price, good and furnish aprt should be recommended. You may share aprt with others to cut the rental.

As I said before, IT posts are quite immense here but do make your resume look good to get first impression.

Dozens of Singaporean in HCMC, so you can seek for their helps, if you are active and easy-going enough.

Good luck to you.

Lua Dinh wrote:

Lee,

Nothing is easy and no risk, no return. I totally support you come to HCMC to look for a job if your current is stagnant.

Thanks, the problem is I'm pessimistic but my current has really no future. Even if I find another similar job, its still the same. Might as well strike it out

Lua Dinh wrote:

While taking time to persuade your family and clear all the sh** stuffs with current job, you may proactively search some opportunities and accommodation in HCMC in advance. You would be only given 3 months before granting with official work permit, in case some company finds interest on you. Then be prepared to struggle with life for short period.

I've searched for more than a year for opportunities, but in vain. Accommodation & others, my friend will help me

Lua Dinh wrote:

Accommodation is worth to take into account in advance. Search for a competitive price, good and furnish aprt should be recommended. You may share aprt with others to cut the rental.

I've read this sharing of apartments in this forum before. I think it's a good idea to save on rental.

Lua Dinh wrote:

As I said before, IT posts are quite immense here but do make your resume look good to get first impression.

My resume is not attractive to make employers say “WOW”. But I'm willing to start from scratch & work my way up. Beats working in my current as there's no motivation

Lua Dinh wrote:

Dozens of Singaporean in HCMC, so you can seek for their helps, if you are active and easy-going enough.

Good luck to you.

I have a few Singaporean acquaintances' but not close. I may ask them for help or pointers.

Hi Lee, ok, first thing. I am surprise you are married, since you mentioned so much "good" things about Singaporean ladies :p

I think logically, you must know what you are planning to do, what do you want to achieve in working here? I supposed you and your partner would have a business plan and if you join him, what are you getting, can it cover your living expenses here. If you are living on your savings, can your Singapore family take care of themselves?

If you have a good chance of success based on your plan, I am sure your wife and parents will support your ideas.

Generally, when we decide to do something, we will have many excuses to go all out. But do consider advice from your Singapore friends as well. In Singapore, being "stagnant" is typically Singapore way of life. But it doesn't mean the end. You can be in the sales line for IT equipments, with your existing diploma, it will be useful too. :top:

Just my small contribution for your consideration. All decision is up to you to make, only you can convince yourself.

lostsouls wrote:
Lua Dinh wrote:

My resume is not attractive to make employers say “WOW”. But I'm willing to start from scratch & work my way up. Beats working in my current as there's no motivation

If you need help with your CV for IT roles, let me know :-)

henrylamcs wrote:

Hi Lee, ok, first thing. I am surprise you are married, since you mentioned so much "good" things about Singaporean ladies :p

Hehehehe. Too bad she's not a Vietnamese. :D:D:D

henrylamcs wrote:

I think logically, you must know what you are planning to do, what do you want to achieve in working here? I supposed you and your partner would have a business plan and if you join him, what you are getting, can it cover your living expenses here. If you are living on your savings, can your Singapore family take care of themselves?

Bro, I understand this paragraph. I can't just blindly fly there & find a job although there is loads of it there. As for savings, I will have to remit some money back every month. I can live very simple. My cost of living is very low.

I don't want to live like a Singaporean in HCMC. If I want, I rather stay in Singapore.

henrylamcs wrote:

If you have a good chance of success based on your plan, I am sure your wife and parents will support your ideas.

My mum never agreed. She asks me to ask my wife. If she gives green light, then it's all good.

henrylamcs wrote:

Generally, when we decide to do something, we will have many excuses to go all out. But do consider advice from your Singapore friends as well. In Singapore, being "stagnant" is typically Singapore way of life. But it doesn't mean the end. You can be in the sales line for IT equipments, with your existing diploma, it will be useful too. :top:

I second that bro… I'm having a dinner with my friends on Good Friday & they'll give me advices.

Sales are not my forte. I can't do sales, seriously.

Seriously speaking, I kinda get used to Vietnamese life.

henrylamcs wrote:

Just my small contribution for your consideration. All decision is up to you to make, only you can convince yourself.

Thanks for you post, bradda. I really appreciate it. I will consider it. Thanks again

laidbackfreak wrote:

If you need help with your CV for IT roles, let me know :-)

Hi laidbackfreak,

I appreciate it. So how can I go about it?

Thanks for all the replies here. I really appreciate it.:)

Many people come here expecting to easily get a teaching job, or expat job. The reality is different.
Now schools are not allowed to employ full teachers without verified degree qualifications. Just having cert to teach English is not enough. Jobs for expats in other businesses are not easy to get as companies here can only employ 3% foreign employees. Idea would be to come hhere on 3mth business visa, check the place out, before you make a decision. Contact [moderated: no free ads] for details of visa on arrival.

greengecko wrote:

Many people come here expecting to easily get a teaching job, or expat job. The reality is different.
Now schools are not allowed to employ full teachers without verified degree qualifications. Just having cert to teach English is not enough. Jobs for expats in other businesses are not easy to get as companies here can only employ 3% foreign employees. Idea would be to come here on 3mth business visa, check the place out, before you make a decision. Contact [moderated: no free ads] for details of visa on arrival.

Bro,

Thanks for your post. You enlightened me...

Theres a risk of checking the place out on a 3 month business VISA. If I cant find anything suitable, Im back to square 1.

But hey, Thats the way it goes unless I can secure a job 1st.

lostsouls wrote:

Theres a risk of checking the place out on a 3 month business VISA. If I cant find anything suitable, Im back to square 1.

easy enough to extend your visa if needed :-)

laidbackfreak wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

easy enough to extend your visa if needed :-)

I can extend, but no more money to sustain me